Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a quick recap goes like this......The last 3 times I've put gas in my 04 Mz 3 Sport GT it would kick off the gas pump like the tank was full. The first time, it stopped about 3 times during the fillup. The second time it did it about every $1.50 of gas pumped. Yesterday when it did it I could only pump 8 cents worth of gas before it kicked off. So after that I went to my fathers house and jacked my car up in the garage. Took off the right rear wheel to have a look at the fuel filler hose and vent. I assumed I had a plugged or crushed vent line. When I removed the plastic shield behind the wheel I was kinda surprised. I found 3 lines back there. A large steel filler hose, and a smaller steel hose that ran all the way beside the bigger one and then went into the big one right before the opening of the filler hose(at the top, right behind the rubber) And I also found a black plastic hose that went down under the car following the other two steel lines. But this one came almost all the way up and then had a black cylinder that looks like a fuel filter. Except this cylinder is open on the bottom side and there is a cartridge type filter inside this cylinder housing. So I removed the bottom of the cylinder housing and removed filter. It was clean on the inside and filthy dirty on the outside and very wet. So I went to the gas station and put $30.00 in my car and it never kicked off once.

I also had an intermittent engine stutter along with a dip in the tach when sitting at a stop light. I also had some intermittent CEL's coming on last summer.

I haven't been to this forum in months and I see that alot of people are having rough idling issues. This might be the source of some peoples engine stutters/vibration/rough idle.

Does anybody know what this filter is called and what it does?

Thanks for any help, John.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey mr blob, I did try 3 different stations over a 3 week period and had the same problem. I removed a mystery filter by the gas tank fill hose and all is well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'll be getting some CEL's soon (and probably quite a few) and if you have any kind of emission testing there (like "Drive Clean" in Ontario) your car will probably fail :(. So just removing the filter from the charcol canister is probably not the best solution to your problem. But good luck with that though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.