Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I understand passing on the 5-8 cent per gallon charges they have to pay, it's been like that for awhile in a lot of places. But it should be illegal for them to make extra profit off them, the way those stations in that story are.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you don't want to eat the cost of people paying via credit card, then you shouldn't give them the option to pay via credit card. that is the cost of doing business, as I'm sure there are many people who specifically shop at places that accept credit cards.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I use a debit card, no idea if they get charged fees or not, but I havent seen anything on my statements or at the pump.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
[quote author=ITHURTZ link=topic=117248.msg2454547#msg2454547 date=1215734386]
I use a debit card, no idea if they get charged fees or not, but I havent seen anything on my statements or at the pump.
[/quote]

actually debit cards charge even more =/

my local gas stations no longer charge debit, only credit.

OHHH

btw, avoid CITGO...

they do this rather frequently

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
how do you know if your being charged? Will it say so on the pump? Worse comes to worse I would just hit the atm before filling up and pay cash.

·
Registered
369 Posts
[quote author=araw at bituin link=topic=117248.msg2455167#msg2455167 date=1215749801]
In california they have different prices for credit/cash directly on their signs. it should also tell you when you use your card, that'd be fucked up if they didnt...
[/quote]
So do they charge more for using a credit card or give you a discount for using cash?

http://consumerist.com/tag/credit-cards/?i=5023643&t=10-things-you-might-not-know-about-your-credit-card

5) Merchants Cannot Charge A Surcharge For Using A Credit Card, However, They Can Offer A "Cash Discount"
You may have noticed that gas stations are starting to offer a different, higher price for credit cards. This isn't technically allowed— unless it is marketed as a "cash discount." In other words, if you fill up your car and find that you've been charged more than advertised because you paid with a credit card — that's not allowed. If, however, you decide to pay with cash because you saw an advertised "cash discount" to the "regular price" — that's ok. A subtle distinction, but an important one.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
[quote author=Nitsuj link=topic=117248.msg2455239#msg2455239 date=1215751409]
[quote author=araw at bituin link=topic=117248.msg2455167#msg2455167 date=1215749801]
In california they have different prices for credit/cash directly on their signs. it should also tell you when you use your card, that'd be fucked up if they didnt...
[/quote]
So do they charge more for using a credit card or give you a discount for using cash?
[/quote]
dunno. i didnt fill up. sounds like its the same to me -_-

·
Registered
369 Posts
[quote author=araw at bituin link=topic=117248.msg2455241#msg2455241 date=1215751434]

[/quote]

Call visa/master card and report them :)
I would still use a credit card though since I get 5% cash back on gas. ~$2 back on every fill up.

Edit: I wish it was $3.63 here, I'm paying almost $4.40/gallon

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=kilacam19 link=topic=117248.msg2454532#msg2454532 date=1215733870]
I believe this is illegal in some states.
[/quote]

It is illegal in all states, they must post the actual price you pay including any fees or surcharges, as the article mentioned one station owner got slapped with some big fines for doing this. In some states it is illegal to charge you a different amount based on the way you pay (IE if you pay cash, credit, check, travelers checks, etc they can only charge you one amount).

I feel bad for merchants that credit card companies charge them so much, but hey they are the ones who decided to go with accepting credit cards. I'll chalk it up to credit card companies reaming businesses the way they do consumers.

Now if credit card companies would be smarter about who they let hold debt to them and how much they let consumers rack up debt to them, they probably wouldn't need to soak individuals and businesses nearly as much to make a profit. Some may say "but that means I can't have as much credit", my heart bleeds for those who now can't owe $10,000 of money they don't have and might possibly default on compared to those people who have no troubles easily paying off any amount they accrue.
-Matt

·
Registered
40,015 Posts
There was a gas station near me that while everyone else was $4.10+, they were at $3.99, cash only, and credit cards were $0.06 more.  I tried giving my cc because the sign said "0.6 (cent sign) more" so it said .6 cents more lol.  He said "$0.06 more..." so I gave my debit card, and he said that was okay.  I went back a week later, and they said "no debit card, cash only" I was like wtf, I used this shit last week.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I also heard with the Discover 5% cashback bonus on gas that the gas station pays the credit card company that as well. I have 5% cashback on my Discover now through September and I'm about to use the shit out of it when I drive to Myrtle Beach to visit some friends and dip into EECMM! 2000 mile trip here I come.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts