Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a Mazda3s 2004 with 143,000mi on it. I'm experiencing a gas smell outside my car when I stand next to it sometimes, and sometimes it stinks up my garage as well. It will also report a CEL code P0422 on startup occasionally. I replaced the purge solenoid valve at around 100,000mi. At that time, the car would actually stall when idling and all that stuff that goes with that common problem.

Now, though, I have no other symptoms besides the gas smell, and the error code. I have replaced the gas cap, and I thought that took care of it, since the gas smell seemed to go away, and the CEL didn't come on for about a week and a half. Now it's back, and I can occasionally smell the gas again.

I would normally be suspecting the purge solenoid valve again, except that I replaced it not too long ago, and am not experiencing the same low idle/stalling symptoms as before. If I had to take a guess, I would say that the smell is coming from the back of the car (hard to tell, just a guess). I have never ever overfilled my tank, but is it possible the vapor canister is damaged, and causing this? Is there something else more trivial I should check first?

·
Moderate your face
6,577 Posts
Replace the purge valve again. Mine's done this a few times. For some reason they just like clog. In fact mine is doing it right now. Does the gas smell go away after you drive it a bit from filling up (30+ miles)? That's what mines doing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice - I know those valves are problematic. I'll get a replacement and report back with a status update. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K, it's been a week and I've had more "small" and "gross" evap leak error codes. I filled up just now, and then when I got home I looked under the back near where the evap canister is, and I could see a small, shiny, greasy slick. I rubbed my finger across it and smelled it - sure enough, smelled of gas. But it's not like it was dripping. Seems just enough to coat a small bit of the under-carriage with gassy grease. I'll have to jack it up later and see if I can figure out where it's coming from. I'll report back when I find out (I'll try to get a photo).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I mostly found the problem. Appears that there's a leak involving the gas tank, probably where the filler neck goes in. I filled up my tank to full and then I jacked up the rear of the car. As soon as I did that, gas started dripping out: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Probably beyond the scope of repairing it myself, but I would still like any advice anyone has.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I mostly found the problem. Appears that there's a leak involving the gas tank, probably where the filler neck goes in. I filled up my tank to full and then I jacked up the rear of the car. As soon as I did that, gas started dripping out: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Probably beyond the scope of repairing it myself, but I would still like any advice anyone has.
Hello, I’m having the same issues. What was the fix?
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts