Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this story in the CT Chat thread, but I thought the wider population of the forums might get a kick out of it too.

On my way back from Providence this afternoon, I'm hitting E on the gas guage. I'm obviously going to fill up, and--I've just advanced the ignition timing--I decide to try a tank of 89 just to see what if any difference I feel. Here's how it went:

*pumping*

Me: Hmm, 12.5G and it's still going, that's a little high

*splashing on pavement*

Me: WHAT THE FUCK??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, that's right, the pump's shutoff mechanism broke and I got gas all over my coat and shoes.

So I go to the guys inside and am like "hey, number 2 just overflowed all over me" and after explaining that I wasn't trying to top it off or anything and saying that they really should find some way to compensate me for the dry cleaning I'm about to have to have done, not to mention that I'll have to clean the inside to get rid of the gasoline smell, they gave me their manager's number to call on Monday. Now, though? NOT happy.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Damn Ive had something similar happen before. I was filling up my dads truck and started to smell a lot of gas, so I look down and the pump is pissing fuel all over the side of the car. It had only filled the tank about 1/4 of the way, so Im not sure what happened. Must have just been a leaky pump. I told Apu behind the counter, but he didn't seem to care very much.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
On another note it happened once to me when I had my truck. The lady filling up next to me goes "usually when it does that it means its full" Really!?

·
Registered
709 Posts
[quote author=ITHURTZ link=topic=107871.msg2209806#msg2209806 date=1207428682]
On another note it happened once to me when I had my truck. The lady filling up next to me goes "usually when it does that it means its full" Really!?
[/quote]

thats when you go, "Hell, really? I didn't know that. *Light up a cig*"

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=ITHURTZ link=topic=107871.msg2209806#msg2209806 date=1207428682]
[/quote]

Punched her in the face didnt you?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
This exact thing happened to me a couple years back. Did you pay by CC? If so, call customer service and have them cut some of that charge down. Worked for me.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah I had the same thing happen a few months ago with my wife's subbie. I was sitting in the car wating for it to fillup. I looked over and went "12 gallons...hmmm should be about done" and a minute later it was still going so I jumped out of the car and it cut off as I jumped out...at about 15 gallons...so a good 2-3 gallons overfilled. I talked to the guy in the gas station and he was like "uh, okay."

It took me about 3 or 4 minutes of arguing with the guy to get the managers number and another couple of minutes to actually get him to decide to get some sand to soak up the gas (he was just going to let it sit there, in a giant puddle...well nearly a pond) and maybe stick a sign on the pump.

I talked the the manager and suprisingly *sarcasim* enough he didn't speak english well enough to understand what I was trying to say. I just gave up because I figured it wasn't worth the $6 or $7 to keep going about it. I probably should have called my credit card company and tried to talk them into knocking down the charge.
-Matt

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Stuff like this happens. That's why you're not supposed to leave the car unattended or sit inside the car when fueling up. I don't see how it could have created a mess more than maybe some on your shoes and hands.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I was watching the pump in my side view mirror, I just didn't notice is pouring down the side of the car for whatever innane reason.
-Matt

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=107871.msg2212553#msg2212553 date=1207576806]
I was watching the pump in my side view mirror, I just didn't notice is pouring down the side of the car for whatever innane reason.
-Matt
[/quote]

I do the same thing, honestly. I just know that I should be out there to make sure it's filling properly.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=107871.msg2212562#msg2212562 date=1207577124]
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=107871.msg2212553#msg2212553 date=1207576806]
-Matt
[/quote]

I do the same thing, honestly. I just know that I should be out there to make sure it's filling properly.
[/quote]

+1, I only do it in my wife's car (unless there is a downpour, then I do it in my car as well) because she keeps meticulous records of odo readings, fillups and milage, so I ususally start writing that stuff down before I am done with the fillup. With my car I ballpark the milage and call it a day (and don't write it down).
-Matt

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
This is why most stations here no longer have that little lever, you have to actually hold the pump to fill the tank. Its a piss off in -40C weather... :x

·
Registered
969 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=107871.msg2212552#msg2212552 date=1207576739]
Stuff like this happens. That's why you're not supposed to leave the car unattended or sit inside the car when fueling up. I don't see how it could have created a mess more than maybe some on your shoes and hands.
[/quote]

EXACTALLY thank you. I hate seeing the people get back in the car (possibly conducting static electricity) and blowing us to the ground. Then I see people on the cell phone OR leaving the damn car running. DO IT RIGHT thats what the warning labels are for......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts