Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article in a business paper here in Quebec and it says that they are expecting gas prices to go up at least 25%($2/Gallon) in the USA and it might even reach 50%($3/Gallon) this summer! Which also means a hike in prices here in Canada! :evil:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
In BC, I saw gas at 84.9 cents per liter at Petro Canada.

Scary. I just paid 69.9 a while ago.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yeps..just filled up today..1.89 at arco...BLAH...i should have stocked piled myself with gas when the gas was so low.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
i don't pay attention to the prices. no matter what i still need gas *shrug*. i still preferred the days when it was .75/gallon a few years back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OPEC sucks. However, member nations often produce more than what they are supposed to, effectively driving prices down. There have been a couple of instances in the past when gas prices ended up lower than predictions because of member nations producing over quota after non-member nations increased production to cover the extra demand. We'll see what happens this time. I feel sorry for SUV drivers...

·
Registered
744 Posts
So far, the most I have ever paid for gas was today - $1.77 a gallon
The least I have paid for gas in the last year - $1.48 a gallon
The least I have ever paid for gas (when it was really low a few years ago) - $0.68 a gallon (and it was Shell gasoline!)

Everytime you see a Hummer drive by you, think of them fondly because without gas guzzlers, I can see gas at $3.00 a gallon at its lowest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what is going to happen to our economy is gas prices reach 3 dollars a gallon? I think its pretty scarry. I know that some countries pay 4-5 a gallon but we are not used to paying those amounts. I hope it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They can make it whatever they want... because whatever they make it, we will all pay it, no matter what. No one in this country can afford to "strike" gasoline. We need it. Without it we couldn't get to work, we couldn't get to school, we couldn't get a ANYWHERE. It really sucks ass too. I hate when the prices go up, there's no reason for it. Even taking busses doesn't help... busses use gas too. There's just nothing we can do. I just wish there was something people could do in order to "fight back".

I filled up yesterday at $1.739/gallon. 13.367 gallons. $23.25 total. Damn communists. More like KARL MARXISM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually

No, they can't just make prices "whatever they want". They still exist within a capitalism and are competing with one another on price. If one gas company decides to jack up its prices for no reason, it will quickly go out of business. The price of gas is driven by other factors (much too complicated to discuss here).

·
Registered
627 Posts
The answer

Mercedes Benz has the answer. It's called the Smart car :)
Takes diesel fuel, gets 100kms to 3.5 litres of fuel. Goes 0-100km/h in 19.8 seconds with its 40 HP engine.

Costs range from $16, 000 for the base model to $20, 000 for the cabrio.

www.so-smart.ca (Canada)

·
Registered
111 Posts
EnFuego138 said:
I feel sorry for SUV drivers...
Why? They made their choice. If they didn't factor in gas prices going up when they decided to buy their guzzler, it's their own fault.

mnemonicj said:
Everytime you see a Hummer drive by you, think of them fondly because without gas guzzlers, I can see gas at $3.00 a gallon at its lowest.
Other way around. There's a finite supply of gas. The more gas guzzling SUV's there are, the more demand for gas there is. Greater demand on an unchanging supply = higher prices. If what you're saying was true, gas guzzlers would have survived the oil crisis in the '70s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, i dont' feel sorry for SUV drivers at all. In fact, I dispise them for many reasons, gas guzzling the most.

With the millions of SUVs out on the road now, this means that we're losing about 10-15 miles/gallon that we wouldn't lose if they owned a car. Multiply it out, and we're talking about a huge savings.

When an SUV drivers complains about high gas prices, I just laugh at them. They just can't see the big picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that Suv are bad because they guzzle gas, but I also blame the manufacturers, they know how to build engines that are better in fuel milage, but they don't do it. Why?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Prozzi Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:51 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that Suv are bad because they guzzle gas, but I also blame the manufacturers, they know how to build engines that are better in fuel milage, but they don't do it. Why?
if u read some fiancial news/mags, Ford makes about USD$15,000 or more per SUV/pickup truck and they sell well, so if u are the CEO of Ford, I think u will push the truck market even more, cause your salary/bonus is based on the revenue. :D :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Our gas prices are bouncing all over the place here. They are fairly high right now (for a winter month) but not as high as summer and not as low as fall. ;)

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
SyChO said:
I just read an article in a business paper here in Quebec and it says that they are expecting gas prices to go up at least 25%($2/Gallon) in the USA and it might even reach 50%($3/Gallon) this summer! Which also means a hike in prices here in Canada! :evil:
Whoever wrote that needs to work on their math ;)

25% increase to $2 means it was at $1.60
Which means 50% increase brings it to $2.40, not $3 ;)

OK I'm just being a pain

1 - 20 of 26 Posts