Mazda3 Forums banner
1121 - 1135 of 1135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
2.0L manual. Half highway, half back roads for me: 27-28mpg regularly. Makes me miss my Neon.

My wife's CX-5 is also a 2.0L (Skyactiv), also a manual, and gets 32-33mpg with virtually the same mix of driving. That thing is great.
Hmmm, something may be wrong with your car; our 2.5 liter manual 2016 Mazda3 is also driven in a 50/50 mix environment of back roads and interstates; the rolling average is about 34 mpg.

For that matter, my 3.2 liter TL typically averages 26-28 in such mixed driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmmm, something may be wrong with your car; our 2.5 liter manual 2016 Mazda3 is also driven in a 50/50 mix environment of back roads and interstates; the rolling average is about 34 mpg.
I hope you're right. I really need to tear into this car once I get some more time. It hesitates a bit, and my long term fuel trims are in the negative high teens. I don't know why my PCM is pulling fuel like crazy. Already replaced upstream O2 sensor, MAF sensor, checked for the common MAF sensor wiring issues, blocked off purge valve line, etc. I haven't messed with the EGR or the PCV yet, those are next.

Do I drive the car a little on the aggressive side? Sure, but not so crazy that I'd be below 30MPG on a "normal" week.

Of course... no check engine codes at all.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mine has been getting about 29.4mpg this winter when it has been very cold. Now that it's warming, the most recent tank yielded 30.02mpg. 75% of my daily commute is via highways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've only been able to get around 18 city, 25 hwy in my '05 2.3l hatch with a manual transmission.

I can't imagine this is normal for a car like this, is it? I'm seeing a lot of people saying higher numbers but I also don't see a ton of manual owners, so I'm unsure if I'm overreacting or not.

·
Registered
667 Posts
No idea of my gas mileage these days since I've been WFH since mid-March. My commute has gone from 350 miles-per-week to (maybe) 30 miles every two weeks. I haven't had a tank of gas last for so long!

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
No idea of my gas mileage these days since I've been WFH since mid-March. My commute has gone from 350 miles-per-week to (maybe) 30 miles every two weeks. I haven't had a tank of gas last for so long!
I have a new fuel economy metric, my latest calculation was "5-days per gallon". :p

·
Registered
667 Posts
My car is parked, full of gas though in case this really is the end ... I want to be able to go perish out on a dirt road surrounded by trees. Maybe a creek.
Hope you added some fuel stabilizer as gasoline tends to spoil after six months.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I hope you're right. I really need to tear into this car once I get some more time. It hesitates a bit, and my long term fuel trims are in the negative high teens. I don't know why my PCM is pulling fuel like crazy. Already replaced upstream O2 sensor, MAF sensor, checked for the common MAF sensor wiring issues, blocked off purge valve line, etc. I haven't messed with the EGR or the PCV yet, those are next.

Do I drive the car a little on the aggressive side? Sure, but not so crazy that I'd be below 30MPG on a "normal" week.

Of course... no check engine codes at all.

"purge valve", did you change out the Purge Solenoid Valve ? I hear that helps with gas mileage as well.

I have an 05i (2.0liter manual, bought brand new in 05'), when it was new I got incredible gas mileage, like 46-52 mpg(no joke, though the 52mpg's was doing a lot of down hill long distance driving, hyper miling techniques too), but easily 40-42mpg on the highway without even trying. I got 32mpg around town driving.

Fast forward 15+ years later, now I get low 20's around town and lucky to get 30-32mpg's on the highway. I don't drive much lately so I hadn't been motivated enough to see what I can do to bring it back up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 05 Mazda 3 2.3 with intake and exhaust done. I get 400 to a tank which is about 25 to gallon. I drive mostly highway but where I live is all hills and mountains. I have noticed I get better mileage if I put good gas in it but for the difference cheaper stuff equals out. I would get better mileage also if I drive it a little bit slower too

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have 05 Mazda 3 2.3 with intake and exhaust done. I get 400 to a tank which is about 25 to gallon. I drive mostly highway but where I live is all hills and mountains. I have noticed I get better mileage if I put good gas in it but for the difference cheaper stuff equals out. I would get better mileage also if I drive it a little bit slower too
400 milers per tank is more than 25mpg. You need to double-check your math. I typically get around 370 miles before I need to refill, which comes to ~30mpg.
Also, what do you mean by "with intake and exhaust done".

1121 - 1135 of 1135 Posts