Mazda3 Forums banner
1101 - 1120 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just rolled 70K.

Got the Buick with 105K, currently somewhere around 170K.

The Malibu I think I had between 50K to 130K (way over what the company leased it for, but I was doing 200 miles per day generally).

Car runs excellent and has been all dealer serviced right down to the oil changes. Previous owner was my sister who took excellent care of it, I've put about 2000 miles on it so far. I don't think the mileage is off based on what everyone else is getting. I just feel like a little car like these should get better mileage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you ever changed the transmission fluid?
Yes, I have the receipt showing the dealer did it at 40,058 miles.

I don't feel there's an issue with my car as far as maintenance or mechanical issue, I've just been surprised that such a small vehicle only gets what these get for mileage.

My mileage seems to line up with most everyone here, and even with my small amount of in town driving my overall average is still better than the EPA highway rating. Fuelly.com shows 120 2008 Mazda3 sedans, and the average is 28.5 mpg (that includes 2.0 and 2.3L, sticks and autos). So again, I don't think my mileage is off, just lower than I would have guessed without research.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Getting better. Last 2 tanks were 31.5 and 31.0 mpg. I chalk it up to it being warmer when I leave for work in the mornings (car warms up quicker), and I believe there may have been a fuel blend/rvp change point somewhere in there. There's much more than just "summer" and "winter" fuels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2008 2.3L automatic hatch, averaging 24mpg, ranging from 21mpg in city to 27mpg on freeway trips out of town.

The first post should be updated with an actual poll, that would help collect the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mileage - 2013 Mazda 3 isport 2.0 Auto

My last tank was the best I've done. I made it 707 miles @ 50.7 mpg according to the gauges. In reality it was probably closer to 712 @ 49.8. I used 14.3 gallons and inflated my tires to 41 psi around the half tank mark causing the odometer to be off (under) about 1.5% according to my GPS. I drove about 75 miles beyond the range = 0 mark. I drove several times with the windows up and no AC during 85-90 degree days. Much neutral coasting. This was real world driving however. Country roads to and back from work (27 miles each way). After this my current goal is to just maintain over 45 mpg until winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.3L AT 5 door hatchback.. I have gotten about 18-20MPG and I have only had this car for a few months now.. Mainly driven on highways. Sea foam has seen to give me a little more mpg, but not as much as I was hoping for.

·
Registered
728 Posts
2.3L AT 5 door hatchback.. I have gotten about 18-20MPG and I have only had this car for a few months now.. Mainly driven on highways. Sea foam has seen to give me a little more mpg, but not as much as I was hoping for.
You're not the first person to report that kind of mileage but it's still just boggling to me. Something is wrong with your car.

2.5l engine swapped, 5 speed, bunch of mods and I average 26 normally. That's probably about 50/50 city and highway and a good bit of heavy foot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With my broken thermostat and a bad O2 sensor creating poor fuel oxygen ratio, I get a wonderful 12kms/litre. About a 500km tank. Hurts my ego.
Gotta get it all fixed pronto.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,407 Posts
2008 Mazda3 2.0 Automatic 145xxx
I check mileage on every fill up.

typically: 27 mpg.
mostly city driving: 25 mpg
highway only: 31 mpg (max I've gotten)
Interesting, my 2009 Mazda3 i TVE (2.0 liter, 5-Speed manual) would routinely return low to mid thirties on long highway trips. Oddly enough, about the same fuel economy as my 2006 Acura TL; go figure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dunno... when I fill it up... it says I have a range of anywhere between 410 to 430 Miles on a full tank.
The screen tells me that I am averaging 36 miles per gallon, daily. I shift high but not near redline.

2015 2.0 Manual. 50k miles on it currently.

·
Super Moderator
1,407 Posts
I dunno... when I fill it up... it says I have a range of anywhere between 410 to 430 Miles on a full tank.
The screen tells me that I am averaging 36 miles per gallon, daily. I shift high but not near redline.

2015 2.0 Manual. 50k miles on it currently.
Our 2016 2.5 Manual with about the same miles on it is more like 34 mpg on a day-to-day average and more like 37 when on an exclusive highway trip.

·
Banned
771 Posts
You're not the first person to report that kind of mileage but it's still just boggling to me.
On every vehicle forum the thread comes up about miles per gallon. We get at least one customer a month that comes into the shop and say that his/her car/truck should be getting better MPG then what was read on a FORUM!:laugh:

There are so many variables and just reading through this thread there are not even anything that could be said as common denominators or even average.
MPG and what you get in the vehicle you drive IMHO is a personal thing? Think about it?
Nothing wrong with some owners getting a lower then reported MPG? it may simply be environment, the way they drive, normal and preventative maintenance effecting drivibility, i.e. air pressure in tires, ignition tune ups,filter cleaning or changing etc.

I view these threads about MPG as entertaining and knowing they are not truly accurate ....only entertaining. :grin2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
2.0L manual. Half highway, half back roads for me: 27-28mpg regularly. Makes me miss my Neon.

My wife's CX-5 is also a 2.0L (Skyactiv), also a manual, and gets 32-33mpg with virtually the same mix of driving. That thing is great.

1101 - 1120 of 1135 Posts