Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1130 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear what kind of mileage everyone is experienceing with their MZ3's.

Please state engine (2.0 or 2.3) and transmission (AT or MT).

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
about 28mpg around town. Havent been on the highway long enough to judge highway only.

2.3L hatchback manual.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think i got 21 MPG on my 2.3 AT last time. Unfortunately, this tank seems to be even worse. I hope it's just the cold.

Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm with Telly. I get around 21MPG on a AT Hatchback around town. Yeah.....hopefully its because of the cold weather affecting the mileage :? .

Here's the break down:

3/4 of tank = 75 miles driven
1/2 of tank = 150 miles driven
1/4 of tank = 225 miles driven

2 or 3 notches on the gauge before filling up = 250 miles driven total. I hope this get better when it gets warmer.

Spencer

·
Registered
773 Posts
2.3 liter, AT. I was a little unhappy that I only got 24 mpg the first few (as in 4) tanks, but now that I've been doing lots of highway driving (and used cruise control to keep me around 3250 RPMs), it's up to about 25.5, and I'm hoping to eventually get around 28 average when the engine is broken in and loosened up. It's not bad, but given that I was driving a Toyota Tercel (don't you start on my old car), with only 83 HP, getting 39-45 mpg is just unrealistic to expect. If I had wanted that kind of mileage, I would have gotten a Hybrid or Prius, and given up everything that I love about the new car in terms of sportiness.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I get about 315 miles before my gas light turns on. So about 26 mpg

·
Registered
947 Posts
5-Door Manual with the 2.3, 2nd tank fill-up today yielded about 29mpg, daily commute of about 20 miles highway, 10 miles of freeway, and 5 miles of local. I expect to get the full advertised 32mpg once the mileage reaches 5000 miles or so. My '98 Accord's fuel economy gradually improved until 10,000 miles, which I take is when the engine was fully "broken in".

·
Registered
563 Posts
Pretty pissed. I just filled up again, and this time got a whopping 17.5 MPG. Anyone have an explaination besides the cold? Most of my driving is short trips to and from work and I can only hope because the car does not have time to warm up, that a mahjority of my driving is done on a cold engine.

Craig

·
Registered
627 Posts
Same way

I drive within 30 seconds of warming the car up in -25 degree Celcius weather. I get about 9.5 kilometres per litre. That's 510-550 per tank.

I drive like a..well, I won't say old man because they can drive fast too. I drive like it's on stilts, to 2500RPM. Maybe that makes a difference right there?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I finally got the first real reading off my tank though it had a slight 1 gallon mix of 91 in the tank, rest was 87). I'm still having the ignition issue, which could account for some mis-read. Also, this is a combination of 50% highway 50% big city with hills (i.e. San Francisco).

Gas light came on, drove a litte more, put 289.3 miles on, filled up to 12.239 gallons, at a cost of $20.06.

Got me a whopping 23.63 mpg @ 84 cents per mile.

My friends VW took 10k to break in. I don't remember the P5 taking so long, but I was lost in actual miles anyway, my CRX would get 40-50 per gallon.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea i think the way we're all driving is affecting our mileage too..haha if you guys getting the rpms to 3.5 and above you're working the car more so i guess you use more gas right? but i just filled up today; ill report back when im done with this tank and ill make somewhat of a log of how ive driven. :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yeah, but that's still city driving - if you are keeping a steady speed, even at 3500+ rpm, you should get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2.3 automatic - around 23

On my first tank, given to me by the dealer, I'm getting somewhere around 23-24 mpg so far, which i'm extremely happy with.

The driving has been small-suburb/highway mostly. It has been around 0 Degrees since i've picked up the car.

Half the tank was gone at 170, and now 3 quarters is gone at 250.
If its a 14 gallon tank, that works out to 333-340 on the full tank, which divided by 14, is around 23-24.

-Tito Jackson

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
14.5 to be exact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not all respondents have listed their engine and transmissions. So I averaged ALL the figures together. 11 respondents average 24.27 mpg

It's fairly obvious the MT is doing much better over all than the AT.

·
Registered
481 Posts
2.3L AT Mazda3 Sport GT
well i've been keeping record of my fuel econ since getting the 3 Nov 24th on my Clie fuel econ program...

average L/100km - 11.06
avg km per tank - 384.5
avg days between fill ups - 8.0
max km per tank - 430
total km - 2307

so needless to say my fuel econ has not been great... but its been all winter driving, mostly city... once the spring summer comes it will definitely improve.
With my 2002 P5 i was averaging 8.38 L/100kms over 7443kms (started tracking once in got the Clie) but it was a MT and all those kms were in the summer... so so far its not a fair comparison between the 2 cars.

1 - 20 of 1130 Posts