Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
[quote author=TehPyrate link=topic=113734.msg2364483#msg2364483 date=1212556143]
I wonder if they'll give me a sticker that says "My Car runs on Blood, Not Gas"...

[/quote]

I want a t-shirt that says that.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
[quote author=TehPyrate link=topic=113734.msg2364513#msg2364513 date=1212556506]
Yeah that'd do too I guess.
[/quote]

When I've given blood, they give a t-shirt, or a bag.

Also, when a "free t-shirt" is involved it seems to draw people in. . .imo

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=rebelgirl289 link=topic=113734.msg2364516#msg2364516 date=1212556596]
[quote author=TehPyrate link=topic=113734.msg2364513#msg2364513 date=1212556506]
Yeah that'd do too I guess.
[/quote]

When I've given blood, they give a t-shirt, or a bag.

Also, when a "free t-shirt" is involved it seems to draw people in. . .imo
[/quote]

Different though, because you're donating to a blood bank. Pharmaceutical companies, unlike blood banks, are allowed to pay for plasma :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
[quote author=rebelgirl289 link=topic=113734.msg2364468#msg2364468 date=1212555921]
people already sell plasma, what's the difference of giving someone money specifically for gas than just giving them money. . .?
[/quote]
One would think that things are so bad that they are sucking our blood for gas $$
It is the symbolism that is pathetic

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yeah it sucks that people are doing this. No different in my eyes then what Chrysler is doing with $2.99/gallon gas with certain models, you drive less than 12k miles a year, and use 87 octane. You hae to do what you have to do to get customers in your doors.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
I would do it but I've gotten a piercing in the last year & I don't weigh enough! Not sure if the same rules that they have for blood donation applies to selling your plasma though

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
well people are drilling gas tanks for gas and people are letting their car run out of gas to a tow truck comes to give them a free gallon of gas.

people are doing weird things for gas, and it may get worst.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Well that's with AAA. They give you a full tank when you run out, but they also have the most difficult insurance to work with if you have an accident. I have AAA so I hope I can remain relatively accident free, except for a fender bender or something. I had to get AAA because it offered the cheapest insurance for me at the time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have 100% absolutely no problem with this. How much would it suck to need a blood transfusion and the doctors not have any to give you?

I could care less about the "symbolism" of the act. If it saves lives, it's worth it. Hands down.

I guarantee any nay-sayer would have a little different opinion if they lost a daughter, a son, a mon, or dad, only because a hospital ran out of blood...

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
It personally annoys me that blood banks and the red cross can't pay you for blood donations. I say pay $5 a pint or accept it as a donation (for a $5 tax write off). Is it bribing people to donate, damn skipy it is. However, why not offer financial incentive. That warm fuzzy people get from donating (right before they pass out and hit the floor) because they were such caring individuals only gets you so far in terms of volume of donations. I don't see anything morally or ethically wrong with paying for blood donations.

One thing though, I hate the red cross. To many instances of idiot volunteers or paid workers doing stupid crap. Best one that I know of was my wife's friend who got brow beat by a red cross worker going door to door trying to drum up donations. My wife's friend told her she was pregnant and couldn't donate (normally did, but she WAS 3 months pregnant). The woman called my wife's friend a liar and actually grabber her by the wrist and tried to pull her our her front door to the donation center (across the street at the church). My wife's friend wrenched her hand away and slammed the door in the woman's face. Then proceeded to call her father who just so happens to be the sherrif of their township. Needless to say the woman was fired and spent a long night in jail over it. Not the only case I have seen of red cross workers/volunteers being obnoxious or rude over it (though nothing quite this bad before). I think the red cross does do quite a bit of good, but I can't really come to like an organization where I have indirectly or directly seen/heard a lot of rudness out of employees and volunteers. I think they need to start some mandatory "dealing with the public" and "how to drum up donations appropriately" courses for all their employees and volunteers.
-Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts