Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the MZ3 have a holder for the gas cap on the back of the fuel door?

It would be nice if it did because I don't like the cap dangling from a plastic tether hitting the side of the car. I would much rather have no tether and place it on the ground or gas pump when fuelling up, if no holder is provided.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I used to use the gas cap to jam the gas lever in place. However, when I looked at the cap, it looks special, not a solid peice as in older cars, but it looks like it is somewhat presure sensitive. Because of this I haven't used it to jam the lever in place cause I'm scared damaging the gas cap will cause a CEL light.

I haven't seen a place for it either, but I don't like that dangling plastic thing either.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So the cap has a plastic tether on it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes it does, and the door can't hold it. It has to dangle around. The Protegé has the same kind of thing.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well :( Most cars have the tether. Oddly the only car I/family has owned that had a holder was my 91 Hyundai Sonata I had a couple of years ago. I guess I will just have to be extra careful with the cap. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
481 Posts
VW gas caps have always had a notch in the gas cap to sit on the edge of the open flap, nice touch :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wouldn't be much to stick some velcro on the gas cap handle and the door with some of the sticky velcro stuff. If you wanted it on there a bit better some hot glue would help some more.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A very simple solution, but one I would have never thought of. I think I will do just that to my future MZ3. Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just filled up for the first time today and ran into the same issue. My solution was to use velcro as well. The cap is not that heavy and a little piece of sticky-backed velcro on the cap and door should do fine. Otherwise, you could cut or disconnect the cord and place the cap wherever you'd like. It is a crappy design though.

My .02
Craig

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think it's better than the Protege, the fob that attached the gas cap to the filler neck was so short you had to cram it out of the way when you put the fuel nozzle in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Filled up my new M3 tonight for the first time and noticed this dangling gas cap too. All I did was stretch the cord that holds the caps over to the fuel door and hang it over a little tab that sticks of the top edge of the door. Worked fine for me...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just hang the tether over the little hook shaped thing that spaces the gas door on the car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I use the same solution. Otherwise, disconnect te tether and just put the cap on the pump when you fill up. I also thought of coating the edges of the cap in that liquid rubber handle crap(the stuff you dip tool handles in) so that way it has a rubber edge, much less damaging.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I've been meaning to post the pic for some time, but only just emptied the digital camera today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gas Cap/Floor Mats

Although I love my car, Mazda went cheap on the gas cap. It is held in place by a very flimsy/frilly plastic cord and has no holder. My 03' P5 cap had a holder and was much sturdier.

Also they wimped out on the 04 floormat versus the 03. The new mats are very flimsy.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts