Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first couple of fill-ups with my Mazda3 touring, the gas cap would sometimes be VERY hard to remove, to the point where a couple of weeks ago it actually came apart in my hand when I was trying to remove it at the gas station. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the cap, and there was no problem for the last two fill-ups.

This week I was in NJ (where they don't let you pump your own gas) and on the way home yesterday, at my first gas stop, I unlocked the fuel door and had the top part of the gas cap fall right out--it seems that the gas jockey had the cap break on him and didn't see the need to let me in on the secret.

While I'm mildly annoyed about the guy covering up what happened, it's tempered by the fact that this already happened to me, and recently. So, to get to the point of my post:

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any idea what's causing it? (The dealer told me the last one was cross threaded... I haven't even heard of anything like this happening before.) Based on this happening twice, I'm guessing it's not the cap (which was replaced) and I'm eliminating myself as the problem as well (since I hadn't touched the fuel area for the last couple of fill ups, being in NJ.)

·
Registered
31,083 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that... I had tried searching but didn't get any results (I guess I was searching from a sub forum or something.)

At least I know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my car is two years old and the long skinny piece that holds my gas cap broke. Now I have to hold the gas cap in my hand while i'm pumping gas :(.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
the cap clips into the door...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts