Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a courtesy post ...

Special deal for the DIY oil changers at Advance Auto Parts... Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic (all weights) is Buy 1, Get 1 free. Sale ends on Jan 27th. List price is $5.78/qt, so with the special you can walk out w/ 8qts of full syntetic for under $25.

I restocked my shelves. :D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Great deal for the DIY's that want to use synthetic! I stocked up 60+ qts. of it back in February.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
yeah schucks here which is the closest to advance has it for that price or $2.89 either way it is way way cheap so we bought 20 cases and will sell synthetic oil changes for cheaper than jiffy lube for awhile lol thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wal-Mart normally has the lowest prices even with deals these auto places put on. The Penz Platinum around here is also around $2.80 a quart the last time I shopped for oil (about a week ago). Even with this special it's still technically cheaper at Wal-Mart, but who's counting pennies. While I'm no fan of Wal-Mart, you don't have to run out for sales, you can pretty much stock up whenever you want since they are low priced all the time.
That being said, I might goto Penz Platinum next time I shop. The Mobil 1 prices are getting out of hand. They used to be $21.xx when that extended performance first came out. Now the 5w-30 EP is $28.68 for a 5 quart jug. The normal Mobil 1 is about $22.xx a jug, although that used to be cheaper before as well. I guess Mobil could say you can use this oil for 15,000 miles as they claim, and save time and money in the long run that way. Oh well, just figured I'd share. While Mobil is an outstanding product, considering I can get Penz Platinum for nearly half the price I'll test that out and see how things go.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 5 Walmarts within a 25 mile radius, and none of them have 5w20 in stock. Advance Auto is the only place that seems to keep their shelves readily stocked.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yeah, Wal-Marts are shit when it comes to stocking the auto section. However, I found one by my girlfiends house and it's a thing of beauty. Everytime I go in there everything is stocked, and most of the time to the max so you can buy many quarts/jugs if you so desire. The two by my house are always out, and normally don't even carry the weights I want. Definatly a hit or miss type of thing, if you checked all of them and they are the same way I could definatly see why Advance is the way to go for deals.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
ppl are looting the PP 5W-20 off the AAP shelves like water during Katrina!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
During Xmas I stocked up on PP 5w20 from Pep Boys. 6qts for $2ea with MIR.

I think I'd rather get castrol syntec, amsoil, or torco though... hehe

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=66266.msg1139379#msg1139379 date=1168298745]

I think I'd rather get castrol syntec, amsoil, or torco though... hehe
[/quote]

Not sure why unless you were doing longer OCI (>10k).
btw, syntec is not in the same category as a pure Group5 like amsoil or torco unless its German brew.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That's good news to me!

I haven't really been following the "oil" forums, so I was still thinking PP's quality was questionable.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I just saw that report yesterday Nova. If that's not proof enough that Platinum is a hell of an oil and the best bang for your buck, I don't know what is!

I've yet to see a bad Platinum UOA other than a one or two where the engine definitely had problems.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=66266.msg1145847#msg1145847 date=1168602193]
I just saw that report yesterday Nova. If that's not proof enough that Platinum is a hell of an oil and the best bang for your buck, I don't know what is!

I've yet to see a bad Platinum UOA other than a one or two where the engine definitely had problems.
[/quote]

to be fair: in general, oil usually isn't a determinant in engine failure unless it doesn't get proper OCI's.
However, quality synthetic oil does provide a bigger safety margin if you had to extend the OCI's out a bit.
And when you factor in the cost of PP @ the moment, the proof is there.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
if any of you have a schucks near by what they are doing on this is killer its like 21 bucks for a 6 pack and you get a $15 mail in rebate it ends up being like $.99 a bottle after rebate but it is limit 1 per household

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I really need an oil change, and I am using Mobil1 synthetic. Since I saw the Buy 1 Get 1 deal at Advance Auto, I was thinking of using Pennzoil this time, since there are no sales at all on Mobil1. Is it OK to switch to a different brand of synthetic? This may be a noob question, but I want to make sure I don't do any damage. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts