Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought that I would let everyone know that Carrillo also makes rods for the Mazdaspeed 3/6. They actually have 2 different rods that they make. The Pro-SA (with wmc bolts) and the Pro-H (1 with wmc bolts and 1 with carr bolts). These rods are for pistons with a 22mm wrist pin (like CP pistons). So they do not work with the stock pistons with a 22.5mm wrist pin. However, in talking with Carrillo, they told me that they can modify their rods to work with stock pistons. There is enough bushing material to hone them out to fit the floating 22.5mm pin. They also told me they would be willing to stock them in house if there is enough demand for them. Now these rods are very pricey, but if there are some vendors out there willing to stock them, then I'm sure the price will come down. So far I only know of one vender (not a member here) who sells Carrillo, and that is JSCSpeed. I know there are other vendors (SU, PG, P3, etc) who are working on their own rods. But this is so far the only other option besides the Pauter rods, and the only option so far that will fit stock pistons (when modified by Carrillo). If you want more information, please contact Carrillo. I am just passing on what they told me.

(Yes, I posted this info on other forums) :p

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a custom set of these in my focus when I built the motor; they're a good product. That motor saw darn near 8000rpm many times and always held together.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Carrillo is now owned by CP Pistons. I have used both Carrillo and Pauter rods for over 10 years in various race engines and have not had a single rod fail (had rods damaged because of other reasons but they were never the start of the problem) I had bad dealings with Carrillo years ago, they were to busy selling Pallet loads of rods to NASCAR teams and did not want to talk to me about a single set of rods for a Small Block Chevy so I went somewhere else. If you want anything custom Pauter is very easy to deal with. I have not bought any Carrillo's from CP but I have done business with them on Pistons and they are great.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
ROFL...and my girl (who's last name is Carrillo) pointed these out one day while her and I were lookin' at some car magezines one day and she told me,"Babe babe! Look! You should gets these when you build up your motor down the road! They have my last name too!" LOL

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carrillo was very easy for me to deal with. Email responses were less than an hour. And talking on the phone with them was very easy as well. In fact, they were the ones that suggested they can mod their current line of rods to fit factory pistons, and today they told me they may stock a few on hand and will list them as soon as they make a new stock number for them.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Damn, that's good to know....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
buying internals this week.
trying to decide between carrillo or pauter rods
and cp or wiseco pistons.

others to consider are JE pistons, and crower rods: can I get some good insight

·
Registered
52 Posts
What did you decide to go with? I'm debating pulling by 1400 mile motor and installing better rods and pistons as a security blanket at the same time I install all the bolt-ons. If I don't do it now it probably won't get done, plus I'll have only one extended bitch session to endure rather than 2 if I wait till later.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
decided to pull out of modding the engine on my mazda and mod the engine of a different car and stick with suspension mods on my 3

but to answer you it was going to be carrillo and cp

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck with the other car. Looking like the MS3 is $$$ to mod and limited on parts. Hell, I usually do the wrong thing so am sticking with the MS3. Always liked the body style, if all goes t shit, it would be a nice doner car for a full up engine swap, RWD and all. Think a V8 would fit? Stuffed on in a Vega an number of years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts