Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would give you guys a side by side comparison of a Carrillo rod vs. a factory rod. This Carrillo rod is modified by Carrillo to accept factory pistons/pins. I believe they stock these now. But they do not have a stock number yet. Also note, that the Carrillo rods with bolts are lighter than the factory rods without bolts. See pics. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes kids, dont forget. Everything is made by the lowest bidder. It all works the same, from Mazdas to hondas to the fucking space shuttle.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
:shock: Wow, our stock rods are really shitty looking. I don't know much in the way of "Rod Durability" but our stock rods do not look beefy at all. :x

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=136701.msg2946764#msg2946764 date=1235033004]
these are great vs pauter.

Price? Location of ordering? I'm nearing the pt of really needing these
[/quote]

$$$$, Without a vendor they cost $$$$. Contact is Carrillo if you want to order direct and pay retail. Talk to Scott Greatrake [email protected] or 949/498-1800. Only vendor that I know of that sells Mazdaspeed Carrillo rods is JSCSpeed. Google them and talk to Aaron. They do not list "this" rod, but they can order from Carrillo with discounted price. Please note that this rod was originally made for aftermarket pistons like CP with a floating 22mm wrist pin. But it was modified by Carrillo to accept the factory 22.5mm wrist pin and piston.

I hear there will be much cheaper options for factory pistons (I think $400-500 a set) from other vendors, but I don't have time to wait on those. I chose these because I like Carrillo rods and quality, plus I hear Pauters are heavier than stock (though I'm not sure if this is true), and these are the only option for my needs right now. (Plus other theories, but I won't get into that.) My goal is only 350~400whp safely. My stock rod bent when my GT28 spiked. So this is my piece of mind.

[quote author=Boother link=topic=136701.msg2946937#msg2946937 date=1235051774]
Show us a side profile of each please.
[/quote]

I'll try tonight.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
What's the rated tolerance of these rods? Or would they have that kind of information on them?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=PRBLU3MZR link=topic=136701.msg2947215#msg2947215 date=1235059578]
What's the rated tolerance of these rods? Or would they have that kind of information on them?
[/quote]

As far as what? torque specs for the bolts and clearance for the wrist pins? Or measurement specs and weight? That's all included. Or are you talking about hp est?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
HP Test, sorry...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the Super-A is rated at 800whp and the H Beam rods are 1000+whp rated.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Oh damn...ok, so they're well worth it, awesome rofl..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow, our stock rods are pretty good size. As the other guy said, side profiles please!

A billet rod will always be stronger than a casting that has been machined. Carillo's can be upwards of 1k+ a set, depending on rod bolt options. I wouldn't pay any attention to the "hp" ratings of rods, most of those are based on v8's. RPMs will kill a rod more so than boost. I've had great luck with the Crower pro-billets, too bad they don't make one for this segment yet.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
OH didn't know that, so then boost vs. RPM's is what to watch out for?

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=PRBLU3MZR link=topic=136701.msg2947870#msg2947870 date=1235072064]
OH didn't know that, so then boost vs. RPM's is what to watch out for?
[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand your question. Rods take a beating and generally break under high rpm abuse and side loads. Boost isn't really a factor, because we have a low rpm limit. Pre-ignition will weaken them up as well, and give the bearings a pounding.

Any billet forging, machined into a rod is very strong. From the cheapo Chinese Eagle rods to custom Pauters/Olivers/Carrillos/Crower/Manley etc units. They can usually take more abuse than any stock cast rod.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Sorry, I was trying to understand what it is that WOULD indefinitely weaken these kind of rods, although built to be strong for more powerful applications, but I understand now, thanks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=Sinitron link=topic=136701.msg2947858#msg2947858 date=1235071801]
A billet rod will always be stronger than a casting that has been machined. Carillo's can be upwards of 1k+ a set, depending on rod bolt options. I wouldn't pay any attention to the "hp" ratings of rods, most of those are based on v8's. RPMs will kill a rod more so than boost. I've had great luck with the Crower pro-billets, too bad they don't make one for this segment yet.
[/quote]

First, our rods are forged, not cast. Second, these Carillos are not billet, they are forged.

HP ratings are really useless, because the most important part of any engine is the tune.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts