Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
1,090 Posts
So let me get this straight, haha, its best to vary your driving during the break-in period as opposed to going slow and stickin to the speed limits and not going over 55 mphs...? for around 500 miles or so..

· Registered
2,619 Posts
Absinthe said:
Vary your speed, could be any speed from 0 to 188km/h :D
As long as the rpm is below 3000 or 3500.
Wait til your mileage hits 1000, then you can go pedal to the metal.
no. you have to vary your rpm also. Don't keep it below 3500. keep it below 6000 so it doesn't red line. but vary it throughout all your gears.

· Registered
512 Posts
When i got my mazda the seller told me that the motor was already broken in, so not to even change the oil before 5000km. I dont take a chance and I drive my car around 3000rpm on the highway, and I also use secondary road, just to mix rev speed. So after 2000km I will change my oil.

· Registered
396 Posts
Fobby_Monkey said:
Good! haha at lease I am not the only one.

I actually got the logic of breaking in from audio speakers. Once new, you have to turn it up as LOUD as it can.. so that it can performs to expectation..
so how long did you keep the volume on full blast?

does anyone use this break in technique for their stereos??

· Registered
882 Posts
What I had read (for house stuff anyways) was to break in speakers they would turn on a rock station at quarter to half volume (depending on your housing situation) and leave it on all day while at work and repeat the next couple days to best results. Sounded good to me but yeah I pretty much vary the volume but I keep the 3 at about 14 or 15 on the volume dial when listening cause it sounds so good and the speakers are probably getting a good workout at the same time at that volume. :)

· Registered
13,365 Posts
6_funk said:
Fobby_Monkey said:
Good! haha at lease I am not the only one.

I actually got the logic of breaking in from audio speakers. Once new, you have to turn it up as LOUD as it can.. so that it can performs to expectation..
so how long did you keep the volume on full blast?

does anyone use this break in technique for their stereos??
With a stereo? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I can't stress that enough. If those cones aren't used to moving, you risk cracking them.

· Registered
86 Posts
Absinthe said:
I can't even imagine keeping the rpm below 3000-3500 rpm. Even being ultra conserative that would be unecessary after 100 miles let alone 1000.

· Registered
13,365 Posts
gtgray said:
Absinthe said:
I can't even imagine keeping the rpm below 3000-3500 rpm. Even being ultra conserative that would be unecessary after 100 miles let alone 1000.
No, keeping the RPM's low is NOT a good idea. You should not be straining the engine constantly, but keep varying them - RUN THE WHOLE RPM RANGE.

· Registered
882 Posts
I've wound my car up to around 6000 a few times, actually a couple times a day. I've got about 250KMs on it now. I'm putting on about 35-40 a day during my commute. I'm also driving to my wife's work a little more often just to put some extra KMs on it to get it to 500-600 by the time I take it on my road trip.

· Registered
563 Posts
There's a good chance I'm buying a 3 tomorrow. Only problem is that I have to drive 2.5 hrs back to school after I buy it. Will the fairly constant highway speed not be the best thing for it? Should I accelerate/decelerate/shift/rev....? Probably going to be the S AT.

Thanx
Craig

· Registered
427 Posts
It may not harm the car, but it isn't the best thing to do to a brand new engine. Momentary speed changes wouldn't do much to help. As in, if you are driving 200 miles and drive 196 of them at 75mph, then that's basically the same thing as driving all of them at 75.

If your trip is all interstate, then it might be best if you could get off of it and drive on a parallel 2-lane through a couple of towns for part of the way. If the trip is on 2-lane and you are driving through some towns, then you will be okay.

Also if all interstate then don't use your cruise control to maintain a steady speed/rpm for a long time.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.