Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Banned
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Levitron said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Yeah driving like a grandma is NOT beneficial to the motor. You need to VARY the RPM's... this means taking it way up there sometimes. Just don't redline or hard-stop.
You mean "hard-start", right? :?:
No, I meant hard-stop. Don't slam the breaks when they're still being broken in.
I see....I gotcha :D

· Registered
1,505 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
dugrant153 said:
would stalling the engine a few times while its in its break-in period cause major problems down the road??
No. NOTHING will cause major problems down the road... it's just theoretically possible that doing "the right things" might make it last a little bit longer.
oh okay... cuz I thought that since I'd be learning manual tranny on my next car, I might damage it or something if I'm clutching odd and stuff...

· Registered
156 Posts
I copied the following from the Mazda 3 owner's manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
- Don't race the engine.
- Don't maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
- Don't drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
- Avoid full-throttle starts.

· Registered
118 Posts
I like to do this, as well as a few other people I know...

Change the oil after 1K miles in order to let the engine clean out the small slivers of metal that might break off into the oil while not giving them enough time to meld back in at od points. and then I usually continue with regularly scheduled changes (3K, 6K, 9K, ect.)

As for torquing the engine out, it shouldn't hurt it too bad, and like someone else said, clutch and synchros are likely to be needing replacing sooner, especially with these transmissions.

· Registered
234 Posts
I know about avoiding hard starts and stops and revving it up for short periods of time....but my friend was telling me that driving should be limited to short periods of time while still in the break-in period....he mentioned something like 15 minute intervals, which sounds ridiculous to me....is that true or false?

· Registered
225 Posts
What about cold weather?

Here in Montreal, QC, temperatures are down to -10 to -15 degrees C. We will see that drop down to as low as -30 C in as little as 30-45 days.

Will my M3 GT Sport AT (I'll be taking delivery within 10 days, hopefully) suffer from being broken-in in such temperatures?

· Registered
882 Posts
Your car won't "suffer" from a break-in period it is supposed to benefit from it. It is just a time to make sure all the seals and systems break in properly. It's like a leather seat or any seat for that matter, It will be firm at first and after a few days/weeks it will start softening up and being more comfortable.

My 02 Pro5 I had came to me with all of 13KMs on it. I drove it agressively (not redlining it or anything) and it ran very very well after that. I've been told on more than one occasion by different mechanics that driving it like a pussy would likely cause more problems in the long run than driving it like you normally would.

Now running it to the redline on every opportunity and driving recklessly is no way to break in a car, nor driving it normally IMO. During the break in period I'd just avoid full throttle starts, drag racing (hard on the car in any situation) and slamming on the brakes. The highway driving part is a tough one (constant speed). I am going to the parents house out of town on Christmas Eve and it's 135kms from town and the highway is 110KM/h (typical speed is 120KM/h so the car will be running higher in the revs and be at that speed pretty much the whole way. I just hope I can get 500 or so KMs on it before then, 500 I would say is enough time to get things loose, especially if you drive it normally and not like a girl. :)

· Registered
882 Posts
Absinthe said:
You could go 188km/h without revving over 3000rpm.
Not with the automatic. I did drive one on a test drive on that same highway for a bit to see how it handled the expansion joints and while it was quieter and smoother than the Pro5 it was still closer to 3000RPM @ 120KMs/h. As I said, better than the Pro5 but still revs a bit higher. I can't imagine it being horrible for the car. I seem to remember doing a 1200KM road trip shortly after buying my Pro5 with only 4 or 500kms on it and there was no ill effects.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
Driving it like a "pussy" during the break in period will only cause your car to not reach it's expected limitation. Due to the fact that the machine basically is not "used" to the condition at the higher limitation hence it will always be below the expected. That's from my experience anyways. Before me and my buddy has the same car, same year, same trim, same model. Yet, mine is "faster", "smoother" then his. It all depends on how you break it in.

· Registered
169 Posts
cowtown said:
I am going to the parents house out of town on Christmas Eve and it's 135kms from town and the highway is 110KM/h (typical speed is 120KM/h so the car will be running higher in the revs and be at that speed pretty much the whole way.
If that's the case, I would vary the speed as much as possible, eg. between 100-120 (yeah, it may drive the cars behind you nuts, but that would be fun too! j/k :D ), but definitely stay off the cruise control.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.