Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in the same article as the Tribute.

Mazda3 sedan/hatch - January 2004
Mazda9 sedan - 2004
MX-5 roadster - 2004
Tribute - 2005
Mazda6 MPS - 2005
RX-7 - 2006

I'm confused about the Mazda9. I remember reading Mazda was abandoning the luxury car segment, and therefore a Millenia replacement was out of the picture. The article eludes to a replacement though.

I would love to see the Mazda6 MPS here in the US as a MazdaSpeed version.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is what mazda9 should be:

Similar-Millenia Style
Ford V8 block
About 320 HP
RWD
5 speed AT
And all luxury features for under $40K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haris and Ahura could not agree with you more, I say build on the Australian ford Falcon Platform. 3.5l 260hp v6 standard and a 4.2L 320hp v8 option. starting @ $30K to about $37K. but something tells me the Mazda9 is going to be a suv cross over. hope not.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MPV might not sell as well as other minivans, but I think it still does well or they would drop it like the Millenia. Mazda made a mistake with engine power initially, but they boosted it to 200hp. Another complaint was it's smaller than other minivans. In the next design, I look to see the MPV grow in size similar to the Sienna, Odyssey, and Quest, but retain the sports image.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The MPV should stay small - it's what differentiates it from the other HUGE vans out there. That and its sporty (for a van) driving dynamics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
sukispeed said:
Haris and Ahura could not agree with you more, I say build on the Australian ford Falcon Platform. 3.5l 260hp v6 standard and a 4.2L 320hp v8 option. starting @ $30K to about $37K. but something tells me the Mazda9 is going to be a suv cross over. hope not.
This actually sounds good in Theory....!!!

But in my view Mazda would have to do ALOT of work to the Falcon Platform and Body to give it a unique Mazda Identity....

Also Ford Australia's quality is nowhere near as good as Mazda's levels, so Maybe the cost involved to Adapt the Falcon Platform could prove to be too much anyway....

Mazda would be best to use one of their own platform....(maybe enlarge the 6 Chassis/Platform and convert to RWD ??!!)

But yeah, I agree don't base the 9 on a MPV !! :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts