Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was planning on getting a fumoto valve and maybe a filtermag. is anyone on here using either or both of these on the 3? i have an '06 hatch. any help would be good. thanks

godwin

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That seems damn cool as it would make oil changes yet even more fun.

However, for about $30 shipped and the risk of leaks i'm a bit skeptical.

For somebody that doesn't want to search, it's an Oil Drain Plug "valve" replacement that opens and closes to drain engine oil.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=half_guard link=topic=71252.msg1252487#msg1252487 date=1173218961]
i know some people used the fumoto valves on their subarus and liked them. i was actually thinking about getting an oil extractor instead for doing easy oil changes. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122
[/quote]

yeah my buddy has a sti and he uses the fumoto and filtermag. but since our oil filters are different then the normal filter. would it be possible to use the filtermag???

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'm not sure if the filtermag can work on the 2.3L but you should ask your buddy if you can borrow his filtermag to see if it would stay/work on your car. no offense, but personally i think the filtermag is a waste of money. to each his own though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=half_guard link=topic=71252.msg1252591#msg1252591 date=1173222112]
i'm not sure if the filtermag can work on the 2.3L but you should ask your buddy if you can borrow his filtermag to see if it would stay/work on your car. no offense, but personally i think the filtermag is a waste of money. to each his own though.
[/quote]

none taken..but i can i ask why you think the filtermag is a waste?? doesnt it serve a purpose? attracts all that metal particles in the oil so it doesnt mess up the engine or whatever???? just curious thats all. if i do decide to get a fumoto valve, i heard that there might be some magnet in the stock drain plug that grabs all that metal crap, so i heard. well thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The Mazda3 has an irregular plastic filter housing and the cartridge is made of paper and plastic.

I don't think it will work...

Unless you do a 2.0L spin-on conversion.

If you want a similar effect, just find an old hard drive and take it apart. This will have strong neodymium magnets on the inside and then stick them on your canister type oil filter. :)

Not only will it attract iron ore, but it should also help you trip those pesky inductive loop stoplight sensors. haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
[quote author=mister_chua link=topic=71252.msg1252624#msg1252624 date=1173222802]
none taken..but i can i ask why you think the filtermag is a waste?? doesnt it serve a purpose? attracts all that metal particles in the oil so it doesnt mess up the engine or whatever???? just curious thats all. if i do decide to get a fumoto valve, i heard that there might be some magnet in the stock drain plug that grabs all that metal crap, so i heard. well thanks for all the help.
[/quote]
The reason I think the filtermag is a waste is because your oil filter is suppose to catch those particles. As long as you change your filter, it should do its job. To me it seems like it would be the equivalent of putting a magnet on your air filter housing. sure it might catch some small metal particles, but your air filter should catch that anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
lets also not forget that a magnet traps only steel particles......not all metal....if you read their website real carefully, they make the claim of only trapping steel particles not all metal particles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts