Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
beautiful stock - the way the engineers intended

post extreme makeover

Extreme makeover gone wrong. That aftermarket unit is so ugly compared to the nice stock radio. I wonder what the effect on the LCD display will be too, its probably useless now. Now, I'm no audiophile but that install just looks out of place. So the interior is made ugly so you can get a nice sub going, shake neighbouring cars, etc for a couple of years and get bored and realise you've beeped your car up pretty badly.[/img]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't forget, to put "beautiful the way the designers wanted it too. Most engineers would have preffered the after picture in the first place because it is square and squares are easy to make and build.

But Ya, I agree. that install looks like crap. If I did that to my car, I think I would be kicking my own butt.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
When I have the moolah to replace the HU, it will be a 7" LCD touch screen. But yeah that does look a little out of place.

Isnt that someones 3 on this board?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yan unfortunately, that looks bad, I have seen both of those MZ3's on cardomain.com.

·
Registered
193 Posts
damn guys, stop making fun of my car... I worked really hard on that install... just because it might not look pretty, doesnt mean it sounds as bad as it looks...

oh wait i forgot, my car is not here yet... haha, pity to the real owner, but on the upside, he still drives a Mazda3 :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
yea i believe that is somoenes 3 haha...dont hate on the fam :(...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Woulda looked better if he put a double-din stereo or a din stereo with a crossover. Take up more space with stereo and leave less fugly black plastic.

Props need to go out for the attempt though. Hopefully he can go back to stock stereo if he wants.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'll have a double din of sorts... a head unit, then a remote control for the Alpine PXA-H700 (processor) that looks like the face of a head unit. The only problem I see at this point is matching the panel around the HUs with the dash material.

I guess the best thing we can do is wait for scosche or metra to build dash kits.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
bknauss said:
I guess the best thing we can do is wait for scosche or metra to build dash kits.
Wont happen anytime soon. The IS300 doesnt even have a kit yet. Best idea Ive come up with is bend a piece of ABS plastic, sand the rough surface till its baby smooth (2000 grit baby!) and it may come out very nice.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hey vaBoom, you got the link to that Audi install where the guy used bondo to fab a custom face plate for the LCD screen? Looked factory-nice in that one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Definately someones car on this board. I don't know if it's fugly, but the HU just looks lost in the sea of black. I believe that pic is not with the final finish on the new dash piece. Pretty sure iwas getting coated in something, but the HU is floating in space IMO. Hey, someone had to be the first to try.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
How much does a setup(equipment) like that cost? Any online links? I would be interested in bondoing up some dash panels, and if it works, selling them. Go Ebay!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Monitor is about $300~500, depending on size and where you get it. I seen some on eBay for $275 + $15 shipping.

A decent tower would be $300, used laptop about $400.

Software is free. You will need to download your own music and movies.

GPS antenna is about $150 or so.

Whatever other options you want is up to you.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts