Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm debating between upgrading my struts, shocks to Koni's or to get the cp-e fuel pump instead at this time. I have a CPe downpipe & Cobb Sri along with the access port. I was running the beta 93octane map before I put the car away for the winter and it ran great. I just recently flashed it with the official map now but have not driven it yet. I don't push the car hard, get on it once in a while and wonder if it would be a waste of money at this point. The car really needs the Koni's since I installed the Cobb springs the ride could be more controlled. Is everyone planning on upgrading their pump? Opinions, advice needed. Thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=onetechyguy link=topic=136026.msg2929549#msg2929549 date=1234378629]
I don't push the car hard, get on it once in a while and wonder if it would be a waste of money at this point.
[/quote]

$200+ for internals or $650 for cp-e pump. Alot cheaper than boom. Definately not a waste....post some WOT logs with your AP showing fuel pressure. If it drops under 1300psi then you most def need one. Stage 2 maps max out my stock pump for sure, so I'd think you need one.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
you don't need a fuel pump, unless you have the amount of mods that crazyitalian does or you've changed you're turbo to something close to a 40 trim or so our fuel pumps are good for about 375-400 easy

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
[quote author=t147 link=topic=136026.msg2937825#msg2937825 date=1234676377]
you don't need a fuel pump, unless you have the amount of mods that crazyitalian does or you've changed you're turbo to something close to a 40 trim or so our fuel pumps are good for about 375-400 easy
[/quote]

thats not always the case. it seems some people that are even stock have experienced bad fuel cut. certainly this is worse in cold weather. but some people can hit 300WHP with the stock pump and run perfectly others have not, there seems to be some inconsistency with the stock fuel pumps.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
[quote author=budgy link=topic=136026.msg2937829#msg2937829 date=1234676577]
[/quote]

thats not always the case. it seems some people that are even stock have experienced bad fuel cut. certainly this is worse in cold weather. but some people can hit 300WHP with the stock pump and run perfectly others have not, there seems to be some inconsistency with the stock fuel pumps.
[/quote]

ok given the anomalies it doesn't need done on the majority of the cars unless having previous problems... but you are correct there are the "lemon" pumps

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's more about the OP is running the AP stage 2+, and the v103 map is demanding on the stock fuel pump. It more than likely needs upgrading.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
here is the thing... running the AP does not guarantee that the car is tuned appropriately for the mods you have. Each car reacts a little differently to modifications, so the cut you are experiencing might be a combination of a PSI spike, timing advance glitch, fuel pressure surge, or a combination of one or more.

your best bet it to log as many runs as possible and look closely at all trims to see WHY you are getting "cut". I would be you are loading up on the car at the wrong times, thus inducing a lean condition by having the timing off a little or a bit of knock. I could be wrong, but I have been playing with the standback ALOT recently and noticed even minor changes (.5+-) make HUGE differences between 3-4K under load. This vehicle is a tricky tune, and it takes multiple maps in different weather conditions to make it run smoothly. There are enough shops out there that can custom tune your AP to smooth out your timing, fuel, and knock responses.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=136026.msg2938156#msg2938156 date=1234711968]
There are enough shops out there that can custom tune your AP to smooth out your timing, fuel, and knock responses.
[/quote]

As of today, only two shops can custom tune the AP for the MS3. Cobb and Surgeline.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[/quote]

I get cut with my mods and I'm not at 375.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i just got cut for the first time in my MS3 last night...it was about 40 degrees in so cal (real cold for us)....went WOT 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and during the middle of 4th.....the thing just slammed right into a wall...LOL

my mods are full bolt ons....cobb sri, cpe turbo inlet, ets tmic, boost tubes, cp-e catted downpipe, HKS BOV

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
just because you're getting a cut out doesn't mean you need a fuel pump... wow... seriously? there are soo many other things that could cause a "cut"... for example, a fuel "cut" could be caused by an ecu, an injector, or a fuel filter... BTW most of the people on here wouldn't know the difference between a fuel cut, a boost cut, or an ignition cut if it happened one after another... another reason why people on this site don't know what they're talking about, they get a cut out and magically because everyone else said it's possibly a fuel cut, yep I know it's a fuel cut when they don't know the first damn thing about how our cars work other than it's a machine that has electronics and I mean if your car falls on it's face at WOT then well damn, you need a fuel pump... Do some research first!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
[quote author=t147 link=topic=136026.msg2939400#msg2939400 date=1234754827]
just because you're getting a cut out doesn't mean you need a fuel pump... wow... seriously? there are soo many other things that could cause a "cut"... for example, a fuel "cut" could be caused by an ecu, an injector, or a fuel filter... BTW most of the people on here wouldn't know the difference between a fuel cut, a boost cut, or an ignition cut if it happened one after another... another reason why people on this site don't know what they're talking about, they get a cut out and magically because everyone else said it's possibly a fuel cut, yep I know it's a fuel cut when they don't know the first damn thing about how our cars work other than it's a machine that has electronics and I mean if your car falls on it's face at WOT then well damn, you need a fuel pump... Do some research first!
[/quote]

Um, there have been TONS of people with just stage 2 bolt-ons getting cut because of the fuel pump. You can see it the dh and ap logs people take. Maybe you should do some research yourself. Our fuel pumps are certainly not good for 375-400 hp. There have been a few stage 1+ guys losing pressure on their pump. Check msf.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
1. Boost cut/Fuel cut has NOTHING to do with fuel. It has to do with boost. Just because you get boost cut DOESNT mean you have low FP. It means your boost numbers are exceeding the preset cut limit (tempurature is factored in).

2. Low fuel pressure will feel like your slowly letting off the throttle when your not. The car will hesitate a bit and simply not pull as hard as it normally would. The only real way to see if you are getting low FP is to *drum roll* monitor fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=t147 link=topic=136026.msg2939400#msg2939400 date=1234754827]Do some research first!
[/quote]

Pretty ignorant of you to assume that people don't.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=136026.msg2939975#msg2939975 date=1234794114]
1. Boost cut/Fuel cut has NOTHING to do with fuel. [/quote]

Incorrect, If it senses a low pressure situation it closes the throttle plate, it's not a gradual drop.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I run a COBB catted DP, COBB SRI, Turbosmart BOV, NGK step colder plugs, and V.103 91 stage2+SF map and I've NEVER hit cut of any type. I think this has to do with the stock TMIC and stock CAT-back keeping things in "check" - but that's just my own theory :)

So, no you may not necessarily need a new pump. I did have the pump reflash thingy performed as well, if that made any difference. It might be a good "just incase" thing to do though as I'm still contemplating it myself...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I do research it's called a degree in auto mechanics and many certifications... putting an AP on your car and dling a map from the internet, then getting a "cut" of some kind then going hey we'll just get a new fuel pump because my car is acting funny and a few people on some forum I get on said I need a fuel pump so I certainly need one then before asking a professional. GET A PROFESSIOnAL TUNE BEFORE REPLACING NEEDLESS PARTS!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=onetechyguy link=topic=136026.msg2929549#msg2929549 date=1234378629]
Hi, I'm debating between upgrading my struts, shocks to Koni's or to get the cp-e fuel pump instead at this time. I have a CPe downpipe & Cobb Sri along with the access port. I was running the beta 93octane map before I put the car away for the winter and it ran great. I just recently flashed it with the official map now but have not driven it yet. I don't push the car hard, get on it once in a while and wonder if it would be a waste of money at this point. The car really needs the Koni's since I installed the Cobb springs the ride could be more controlled. Is everyone planning on upgrading their pump? Opinions, advice needed. Thanks
[/quote]

Please ignore the guy from Oklahoma and his "certifications". He is not helping you make any rational decision.

I'm running a stage 2 car (cobb sri, RMPC inlet, 3.25" TMIC, CP-E DP), and previously ran the 1.02 + 1.03 beta maps for several months. My fuel pressure was fine, and the car was making good power. I switched to the 1.03 final maps (NOT changing any mechanical parts) and my fuel pressure started consistently dropping like a rock under load. The only reason I know this is because I have been logging my car since it was stock and then stage 1.

You should find a Dashawk, and keep record of how your individual car performs and reacts to what you are doing with it. Once I put my fuel pump on a couple of weekends ago, the A/F's became steady, the knock went away, and the car became very smooth.
You can see my pics in my other thread.

You may not have a problem now, but recording some driving and reviewing the data will help you decide if you need a pump.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
[quote author=Sinitron link=topic=136026.msg2947886#msg2947886 date=1235072369]
[/quote]

Please ignore the guy from Oklahoma and his "certifications".  He is not helping you make any rational decision.

I'm running a stage 2 car (cobb sri, RMPC inlet, 3.25" TMIC, CP-E DP), and previously ran the 1.02 + 1.03 beta maps for several months.  My fuel pressure was fine, and the car was making good power.  I switched to the 1.03 final maps (NOT changing any mechanical parts) and my fuel pressure started consistently dropping like a rock under load.  The only reason I know this is because I have been logging my car since it was stock and then stage 1.

You should find a Dashawk, and keep record of how your individual car performs and reacts to what you are doing with it.  Once I put my fuel pump on a couple of weekends ago, the A/F's became steady, the knock went away, and the car became very smooth.
You can see my pics in my other thread.

You may not have a problem now, but recording some driving and reviewing the data will help you decide if you need a pump.

Good luck,
[/quote]

so you run your mouth and if you would've read the post ... you would've noticed I said what you just did... I'm not from Ok. it just happens to be where I'm stationed. And you're new to the forums... yup enough said.

Again, as I stated you're running a map that was not designed for where you are, what your exact mods you have and again yet another person goes and buys a fuel pump to fix an issue that should've been addressed by someone who knows what they're doing. A real remap is done on a dyno for your car and your mods.

wow just wow!

·
Registered
122 Posts
you don't need a fuel pump, unless you have the amount of mods that crazyitalian does or you've changed you're turbo to something close to a 40 trim or so our fuel pumps are good for about 375-400 easy[/quote]

That's just not true. There are logs showing drops in PSI from cars at less than 300hp with or without APs/SBs, with or without significant mods.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts