Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start a new thread, Evil Mod, you can ding me later, but I felt this was of importance to note with a new thread title:

I just got back from the dealer today where I was supposed to have a Fuel Pump replaced. I was have the hard and long (get your mind outta the gutter) crank times, sometimes two or three turns before the car would start. Dealer conclusion: fuel pump doesn't hold pressure.

So they ordered the parts, got them in, and I took the car over this morning at 7:30am.

I got a call back around 3:30pm stating that there was a new problem. Apparently there is some kind of clip that holds something (I think he said the gas tank) in place. When that clip is removed, all the tabs snap off leaving it broken. This part does not exist in the technical white papers for the car. But wait, it gets worse - there is not a part number in the computer.

So my service rep had to call the factory guys, all of whom happen to be in Vegas right now at a car show, and ask what to do. They are supposed to figure out what the part is, and where to get it on Monday.

Until then, I'm stuck drive a POS PT Cruiser... That won't last much longer, I promise.

So, as a warning - for those of you taking your car in for this or similar work, make sure the dealer has all the mystery brackets to put the car back together!

EDIT: thread title (slightly) :twisted:
NOTE: No prob - VERY useful info!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: .: WARNING :. Fuel Pump Replacement

DJ Spencer said:
I was have the hard and long (get your mind outta the gutter) crank times, sometimes two or three turns before the car would start. Dealer conclusion: fuel pump doesn't hold pressure.
What do you mean two or three turns before the car would start? Do you mean the engine has to turn two or three times before starting or do you mean you have to turn the key two or three times before the engine starts?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn the key...
churn..churn..churn..churn...
Turn the key...
Turn the key...
Turn the key...
churn..churn..churn..vRoooommm...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
DJ, This is starting to get really bad. I will be calling up my service center this afternoon after class to see what the status is, even though it sux that you ended up with a PT cruiser for a while, thank you for posting what happened. I hope my center keeps track of things like that.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hope that my faults help other dealers out in getting the right stuff.

I won't know much more until Monday. And this PT Cruiser will probably go then too, and I will force my dealer to loan me a Tribute from the used lot. I can't fit my DJ gear in the PT - it's too damn narrow.

·
Registered
889 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
Yeah, I hope that my faults help other dealers out in getting the right stuff.

I won't know much more until Monday. And this PT Cruiser will probably go then too, and I will force my dealer to loan me a Tribute from the used lot. I can't fit my DJ gear in the PT - it's too damn narrow.
I don't know if this has been covered, but what month was your car built?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I hit it in another forum on TSB.

I'm a 10/2003 car, straight from Japan.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
anyone else have an 11/03 car...seems the probs are stemming from the october build date..

·
Registered
171 Posts
how can you tell what month your car was produced?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Its imprinted in your drivers door jam.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i have an 11/03 build date...and it the car does take awhile to start sometimes in cold weather, although not as bad as DJ Spencer's.

once every 3 days or so, this problem happens.

but heck, once the car starts: i forget about the problem because its such a pleasure to drive. and i love the feeling that i hardly see any on the road.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
6_funk - you might want to still be concerned about it. Just as I was getting to the date my part (or at least what I thought was the part) came in, it was becoming more and more difficult to get the car to fully turn over. May be a small issue now, but much bigger down the road.

Although, I'd wait until they know what parts they need!! ;)

Anar - yeah, this blows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"it was becoming more and more difficult to get the car to fully turn over.[/quote" from DJ Spencer

Please clarify, does your 3 have a problem turning over or actually starting? I dropped mine off at the dealer today to look at the problem of the long crank times (ocurring after sitting for 4+hrs). He discounted any fuel pressure problems quickly stating that I would notice it when accelaerating and suggested a spark plug issue. He is going to try to replicate (I'm sure it will work fine for him) and let me know later today. Any input on the fuel pressure vs. spark plug issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Faulty Fuel Pump

Just got a call from the Tech @ the dealership and his first words were "I guess I have to eat crow on this one" It is the fuel pump that is causing the long starts. As posted previously on this thread it is not holding pressure. Of course I have to wait until the 10th to get the part replaced but I'm happy that the problem has been addressed. I'd like to thank everyone at Mazda3forums for the education and making it sound like I knew what the hell I was talking about when I dropped the car off.

Mazda 3s 4-door 5 speed built 11/03

Purchased in Seattle, WA

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Mine's still on "backorder." This is giving me the time to keep up to speed on what's happening with you guys. I hope 3 service centers can't be wrong about where the problem is coming from.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh-heh... :)

Okay, I'm going to ask you to clarify - in my mind, turn over and start are the same thing. However, it sounds like we had the same issue.

Glad that you got your tech to figure out that it is the fuel pump, and it's interesting that you are an 11/03 build.

I just stopped by my dealer today, and they said that they still didn't have an ETA on the spacer clip (this is something that holds the gas tank in place). My General Sales Manager was ready to rip one off of another Mazda, before he realized that when you take it off - it breaks!

So they are working with me on the rental car issue now. I should have my second rental in as many weeks come Friday.

Fun, fun!

I expect the TSB soon on the fuel pump - this can't just be random.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts