Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was just about home after going out bowling this evening, I noticed a brief problem. At one point when I took my foot off the gas, my car slowed down suddenly, not to a stop, but enough to notice a jerking movement. My foot was off the brake the entire time. Obviously the car is supposed to slow down slightly if you don't have your foot on either pedal, but it should not suddenly slow down like it did. This continued to repeat itself till finally I pulled into a parking lot. I put the car in reserve then back into drive. I drove around the parking lot a bit and it seemed to drive normally. I then drove the rest of the way home (which was only about 2 blocks away), and it still felt normal.

Is this a potential fuel line problem? It is only about 10 degrees outside, so the cold may be the culprit. I don't plan on taking it to the garage unless this happens again. What do you think?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
It wouldn't be a fuel line issue. When you take your foot off the gas the ECU cuts the fuel anyway after a fraction of a second (usually around .2-.5s after it encounters a zero throttle situation with the revolutions above idle). can't think off hand what it would be.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's possible your transmission was stuck in too low a gear and you just didn't notice. When you put it into reverse and then back into drive, you reset it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=ViperKillerWannabe link=topic=68357.msg1180933#msg1180933 date=1170352889]
It's possible your transmission was stuck in too low a gear and you just didn't notice. When you put it into reverse and then back into drive, you reset it.
[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I think that is exactly what happened. I think I might have bumped the gear into manual overdrive, which would explain why it may have been stuck in a lower gear. (I have an automatic.)

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts