Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased a Mazda 3 GT Hatch a couple of weeks ago. I was told that the vehicle would get 42miles/gallon. I was also told that the car will not initial get as good of fuel economy. Is it true that your vehicle won't get optimum fuel economy until it has 15000kms? why?
On my first tank I averaged 29 miles/gallon.
Is there anything that I can do to improve fuel economy?

Thanks,

BTW: I love this car! I test drove all the competiting vehicles in this class and not one could come close to the tight ride that the Mazda has...this car beg's to be driven fast...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The specs [for the US/California] Mazda 3 hatchback, auto-trans, state 24 MPG street/29 MPG highway. You can go to Mazda's w3 site, http://www.mazda.com/ and do a 'build your own' and it will ask you the country/state you live in and when you're done, you can print up the sticker that appears on the car at the dealer. It will tell you the milage [and the sticker on the car itself, when you bought it, should have also put that in big, bold print].

/vjl/

·
Registered
144 Posts
MPG

Agree with last post. 42MPG is way overstated and I have never seen that on any M3 review. Your 29 MPG is definitely in the ballpark.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
42 mpg!! I think you did pretty good. Whoever told you that probably doesn't know what they are talking about. It happens sometimes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You should get slightly better mileage after the breakin period, but not 42. They should have had one of these hanging in your back window...

Craig

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine was 29 and 31mpg... I remember because I noted it was different than what I expected. I believe there is different restrictions and different measureing methods for this which let the different states/provinces quote differently.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, remember, their are 2 engines and 2 emissions levels (in the us).

From the "Build and Buy" page of the Mazda3 site:

148 hp* 2.0-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine (*144 hp in CA, MA, ME, NY and VT)

160 hp 2.3-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine

So, there could be the possiblities below. ALL would have different MPG ratings.

US 2.0 (std) 5-speed
US 2.0 (std) Auto
US 2.0 (CA) 5-speed
US 2.0 (CA) Auto

US 2.3 (std) 5-speed
US 2.3 (std) Auto

·
Registered
882 Posts
You certainly won't see 42 but if you're hitting close to 30 your doing pretty good. I know with about 34,000kms on my Protege5 I got around 15-16km/litre over a trip that averaged 95-100km/h. The range on that tank of gas was about 710kms if I remember right and 45 of that was in city driving too. That was pretty remarkable to me, I was able to drive in Calgary for a day then drive from Calgary to Kelowna before I filled up. Now when I filled up I had probably like 2L left in the tank but pretty damn nice for milage I'll say. Overall I expect to hit similar if not a little less out of the 3 Sport.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I went through the build/buy from the mazda site:

Here we go:

2.3L 5-speed: 25/32
2.3L Auto: 24/29

2.0L 5-Speed 28/35
2.0L Auto 26/34

It won't give me CA numbers, so they may be the same. I even tried a LA zip code, oh well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whoever told you that you would be getting 42MPG was definately pulling your leg. As said above, between 23-30 will definately be the normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am pretty sure that in Canada, the Gallon unit that is sometime used is the UK Gal (different from the US Gallon).

1 US Gal=3.785L
1 UK Gal=4.54L

The highway rating of 6.7L/100km translates to 42M/UKGal.

The original poster didn't specify a location so but since he mentioned km, I am going to assume he is in Canada.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hmm

My first fill was at 480kms and I had a quarter tank of gas left. Based on the litres I put in, 48L, I would have probably gotten close to 520kms on one tank, even while this is the break-in period. Why? I drive like an old man. I stay safe, I save cash, and everyone around me gets upset because I drive too slow. I win! :wink:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You can push the car, while idling and possibly get 42 mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahhh

Thanks alot guys. I live in Canada. The difference was obviously my ignorance on the US Gallons vs Imperial gallons.

My first tank was filled up at 584km, it took 48litres...so i still had 7 litres left. lots of hwy driving btwn 110-120.

Thanks for the info and help!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey everyone :D I bought my 2.0 mz3 in ottawa ontario Canada and all the window stickers for this model read 42 mpg. I got almost 600 km's on my first tank, took 32.00 to fill her at 69.9cents per litre. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Airboy said:
I am pretty sure that in Canada, the Gallon unit that is sometime used is the UK Gal (different from the US Gallon).

1 US Gal=3.785L
1 UK Gal=4.54L

The highway rating of 6.7L/100km translates to 42M/UKGal.

The original poster didn't specify a location so but since he mentioned km, I am going to assume he is in Canada.
Ohhhh....didn't know that there was a difference. What a screwy world. :lol:

·
Registered
744 Posts
...or just coast down a really steep hill over and over and then have it towed back up. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts