Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 hatch, manual.

You know, I really want to like this car. I love the way it drives and rides and I like all the features and the general overall build quality, but . . .

I have barely 5000 miles on it and already it has been to the dealer 5 times - three times for the gear shift cable clicking and two times for the CEL.

They finally fixed the gear shift cable problem (thanks to help from this forum) and on my way home happy as a clam to be rid of that noise I caught the intermittent cracking noise problem that comes from somewhere down around the bottom right side of the driver's seat.

It took me two weeks (until yesterday) to realize that the noise wasn't coming from the passenger side foot well at all but instead was coming from the driver's seat and that it seems to have something to do with the seat belt receptacle. So I was happy that at least I had found the source of that noise and now I can devise a fix for it (which may be as simple as applying Lexol to the seat where the seat belt receptacle touches because I've noticed that the leather in this car gets 'sticky' and applying Lexol to the gear shift boot got rid of a nasty screechy noise from there).

Now, today, the heater fan inside the car has started to click. It sounds like something has shaken loose and is hanging near the fan blade so it gets nicked by the blade as it spins and it sounds like I have a helicopter in the car. The speed of the click varies with the speed of the fan and it's pretty loud. Of course, since I can't turn off the fan the noise is always there.

I can't believe this. Another trip to the dealer? And they're going to take the dash apart to get to the fan and then I have to hope they put it back together again properly without introducing a whole new set of noises?

I am so frustrated . . . :sad:

ggeinec

·
Registered
195 Posts
sorry to hear about your problems..ive been to the dealer quite a number of times as well..and like you have gotten it back with something else broken because of the incompetent mechanics my dealer uses. Just hang in there man, i love the car itself just the reliability and service mazda offers aren't the best. wish you the best man and dont let it discourage you from driving or owning a 3!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Lemon law? I'd think 5 dealer trips is enough to constitute that, even if the problems are not major.

Hopefully you get the heater fan fixed and that's the end of that.

·
Registered
611 Posts
[quote author=ebhcr link=topic=65605.msg1123895#msg1123895 date=1167353773]
Lemon law? I'd think 5 dealer trips is enough to constitute that, even if the problems are not major.

Hopefully you get the heater fan fixed and that's the end of that.
[/quote]

yea, i was thinking the same thing but i really don't know anything about the lemon law. maybe one day i'll care enough to actually check it out ;p

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lemon law quick summary:

A vehicle that continues to have a defect that substantially impairs its use, value, or safety. Generally, if the car has been repaired 4 or more times for the same Defect within the Warranty Period and the Defect has not been fixed, the car qualifies as a Lemon.

It varies state to state...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The clicking noise coming from the heater fan may be caused by a leaf or some other debris that could have gotten sucked in past the plastic grids that allow outside air to flow inside of the car. These are located under the rear edge of the hood next to the windshield on either side of the windshield wipers.

A few weeks ago I heard a similar sound and was able to eliminate it after cycling the fan speed switch between the high and off positions several times. I've learned that it's a good idea to make a habit of cleaning out any of the debris that tends to collect in this area often-especially when trees are dropping their fall leaves in the fall and spring blossoms.

Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with your car. I've owned mine for 22 months and almost 30k miles and so far haven't experienced any issues that required taking it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=ggeinec link=topic=65605.msg1123739#msg1123739 date=1167346386]
Now, today, the heater fan inside the car has started to click. It sounds like something has shaken loose and is hanging near the fan blade so it gets nicked by the blade as it spins and it sounds like I have a helicopter in the car. The speed of the click varies with the speed of the fan and it's pretty loud. Of course, since I can't turn off the fan the noise is always there.

I can't believe this. Another trip to the dealer? And they're going to take the dash apart to get to the fan and then I have to hope they put it back together again properly without introducing a whole new set of noises?

ggeinec
[/quote]

[quote author=CDTMAZDA3 link=topic=65605.msg1125171#msg1125171 date=1167430688]
The clicking noise coming from the heater fan may be caused by a leaf or some other debris that could have gotten sucked in past the plastic grids that allow outside air to flow inside of the car. These are located under the rear edge of the hood next to the the windshield and on either side of the windshield wiper arms.

A few weeks ago I heard a similar sound and was able to eliminate it after cycling the fan speed switch between the high and off positiongs several times. I've learned that it's a good idea to make a habit of cleaning out any of the debris that has a tendency to collect in this area often, especially when trees are dripping their leaves in the fall and blooms in the spring)
[/quote]

I have a 2006 (got it last June) and my heater fan has that same problem. I'm not too interested in taking it to the dealer as they have to take so many things off to get to the fan, and once they get everything back on chances are it will never be as tight as factory. I am hoping it's a leaf but I highly doubt it given how persistant the noise is. Let me know how it goes for you when the dealer checks yours out. I am holding out for now and just turn the radio up to avoid hearing the noice. :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=SBC31 link=topic=65605.msg1125723#msg1125723 date=1167460245]

ggeinec
[/quote]

The clicking noise coming from the heater fan may be caused by a leaf or some other debris that could have gotten sucked in past the plastic grids that allow outside air to flow inside of the car. These are located under the rear edge of the hood next to the the windshield and on either side of the windshield wiper arms.

A few weeks ago I heard a similar sound and was able to eliminate it after cycling the fan speed switch between the high and off positiongs several times. I've learned that it's a good idea to make a habit of cleaning out any of the debris that has a tendency to collect in this area often, especially when trees are dripping their leaves in the fall and blooms in the spring)
[/quote]

I have a 2006 (got it last June) and my heater fan has that same problem. I'm not too interested in taking it to the dealer as they have to take so many things off to get to the fan, and once they get everything back on chances are it will never be as tight as factory. I am hoping it's a leaf but I highly doubt it given how persistant the noise is. Let me know how it goes for you when the dealer checks yours out. I am holding out for now and just turn the radio up to avoid hearing the noise. :)

Cheers.
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
that sux... i think there is a thread about the squeaky drivers chair, i have to become unlazy and maybe I'll find it....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the clicking noise on my '01 Tundra, it had over 80K miles. I fixed it by disassembling the fan motor & cleaning & lubing the bearings. You probably have a bad fan motor. If your car is still under warranty, insist it be fixed!!

Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=SBC31 link=topic=65605.msg1125723#msg1125723 date=1167460245]

ggeinec
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a 2006 (got it last June) and my heater fan has that same problem. I'm not too interested in taking it to the dealer as they have to take so many things off to get to the fan, and once they get everything back on chances are it will never be as tight as factory. I am hoping it's a leaf but I highly doubt it given how persistant the noise is. Let me know how it goes for you when the dealer checks yours out. I am holding out for now and just turn the radio up to avoid hearing the noice. :)

Cheers.
[/quote]

GOOD NEWS from me, it turns out it was just a leaf or some foreigh object in my heater blower fan as the noise is now gone and I didn't have to take the car into the dealer..

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
good to hear about the blow fan noise 8) . Sucks that you've already had all of those problems though :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts