Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the messages about brake shimmy but none seem to apply to my situation; thus this post.
I started noticing shimmy when braking over 50mph a few months ago. My car had apx. 30,000 miles at the time. There was no shimmy until I touched the brakes and then it was pronounced. As soon as I drop below 50, there was none. Not just less: none. Then it would seem to go away completely at any speed. Now, at 36,000 miles, it's back. VERY back! I took the car in because I thought this might be due to rotor warp. The garage said that my front rotors were within 1 degree run out but one of my rear was at 2. (the max, they said) So I had the rear rotors turned and pads replaced. $300.00 later the problem is still there and they still say the front rotors are fine. I'm finding that brake parts for my Mazda are unrealistically high so before I sink any more money into them I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on this? The inconsistancy of the problem and speed/heat thing has me baffled.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
what condition are your tires in?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mine starting doing the same, at the same speed intervals, right about the time I put on some aftermarket wheels (25k). However, mine would shake when braking at those speeds all the time (not periodically like yours). Shop did not know why it was happening..rotors, brakes, tires, alignment were all fine. I recently mounted some oem 17's and it shakes a lil less violent, but it does still shake.
Very annoying!
If you ever figure it out, let me know and I will do the same.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Is there anyone that had the same problem, and found a solution?!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My old lady's car is doing the same shimmy you described above. However, at 106k, I am thinking it's time for new suspension. I think i am feel the vibration from worn out suspension components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts