Mazda3 Forums banner

Front end scraping

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  C-Bass 
#1 ·
Anyone else scraping the front end over bumps, dips, or pulling in or out of driveways? I have scraped 3 times so far pulling in to places that have a slight incline. Luckily, it is just the thin black strip that runs under the front fascia and not the paint (yet). It is getting marred up pretty bad. I thought about replacing it, but the thing is push pinned and riveted on. Drilling out all of the rivets and replacing would be a pain. I'm waiting for the time when I look under and see it just busted off. :p

#4 ·
Yeah I did that a few times. I learned you really gotta angle it when you go over one of those. I am glad that the lower part isn't painted. I wouldn't bother replacing the part. If you do your gonna cry when you scrape it again. I never scraped anything with my old miata, this car you gotta be careful.

#7 ·
This is a sports car and I try to repect that by:
- not pull in all the way to the curb, so my front does not go over the curb.
- watch my wheels so they don't scrape the curb.
- as someone said, angle to go up steep driveways and to go over nasty speed bumps.
- don't leave shit on my dash and you can put your feet up if you take off your shoes.
- If you leave trash in my car, beatings will occur.
- If you ever turn on the radio/FM in my car, further beatings will occur. ONLY HOUSE MUSIC!!!
- if you leave your drink in my car, expect it to be thrown at you as soon as you clear the vehicle.

Always leave in gear when parking and
clutch - gear neutral - start.

is all 8)

#9 ·
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=66788.msg1147596#msg1147596 date=1168681581]
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=66788.msg1147433#msg1147433 date=1168665281]
This is a sports car...
[/quote]
Sports car? Like a Ferrari or a Corvette?
[/quote]

While it's not exactly a 'sports car' per se, you've gotta respect a worked-up compact car that can brake as well as that of a sports car icon. That warrants some kinda special treatment in my book :D

#10 ·
It brakes well simply because of the tires and the weight distribution.
Repeated heavy braking separates the men from the boys. In this regard, the MS3 would not do so great when compared to most sports cars.

#11 ·
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=66788.msg1147607#msg1147607 date=1168684744]
Repeated heavy braking separates the men from the boys. In this regard, the MS3 would not do so great when compared to most sports cars.
[/quote]

[fanboi]

Though I take general automotive media as a grain of salt, reports have shown positive signs in that regard.

In any case, I haven't seen any real world MS3 put to an indicative test yet, so as far as I'm concerned, MS3 capabilities have yet to be seen.

[/fanboi]

#12 ·
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=66788.msg1147607#msg1147607 date=1168684744]
[/quote]

LOL

Check the reviews on the 3--you will find little brake fade and no fluid boil under the toughest track conditions--driving by auto magazine reviewers. This car stops quicker than anything in it's class, IIRC, and better than a lot of "sport" cars like Mustangs.

It accelerates better than a lot of cars that are advertised as sports cars. And does all of that cheaper than sports cars.

#14 ·
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=66788.msg1147730#msg1147730 date=1168701288]
to me- its a sports car. I drive it like one. I take care of it. wash it every weekend.
Its my precious!

[/quote]

I agree it is a sports car. It handles, brakes and accelerates above average. It doesn't have to have two doors and look like an s2k, vette, or RX-8 to be considered a sports car.

#15 ·
How about it's a sporty car? The guy's where I work call it "The Grocery Getter" or "The Wagon". I take incline's at an angle and go slow too, but sometimes you still get caught off gaurd with the infamous scraping sound. It's funny, because the more I try to take care of this car, the more bashed up it gets. I have a small dent in the roof, 2 chips in the paint by the fuel door, and a scraped up front end. It's all stuff that you would never notice unless I showed you, but it agitates me. I told my wife I shouldn't care as much about this stuff, but I can't help it. :hyper:

#16 ·
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=66788.msg1147762#msg1147762 date=1168703704]

I agree it is a sports car. It handles, brakes and accelerates above average. It doesn't have to have two doors and look like an s2k, vette, or RX-8 to be considered a sports car.
[/quote]
Having 2 doors is not a prerequisite for being a sports car but having RWD or AWD is.
For example, I doubt that most people would consider a GTI or Civic Si to be a sports car.

#17 ·
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=66788.msg1148054#msg1148054 date=1168721426]
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=66788.msg1147762#msg1147762 date=1168703704]

[/quote]
Having 2 doors is not a prerequisite for being a sports car but having RWD or AWD is.
For example, I doubt that most people would consider a GTI or Civic Si to be a sports car.
[/quote]

This debate can go on forever simply because opinions vary drastically. The ms3 being much more powerful than those 2 cars put it in a different category imo but I agree many would consider them sport-compacts rather than sports cars. Also FWDs are getting better in terms of driving dynamics so much so that they're able to compete well handling wise.

#21 ·
I have yet to scrape our new MS3 but that's due to slowly angling every entry and exit that looks scrapable.
In my former life as a valet parker, I had to warn all "sports car" drivers of the steep decline exit from the hotel where I worked to keep their front ends intact. One Lamborghini Diablo driver installed 4 solid casters under the front lip to prevent scraping. They looked like skateboard wheels that were attached to the frame and essentialy took the brunt of the impact on low surfaces and lifted the car enough to allow it to "roll" over any steep incline or decline without scraping the body. I do not recommend this - merely an observation.

#22 ·
yeah, I scrape all the time in my MS3. The plastic under the bumper is what I scrape every day getting in and out of my garage, as well as some entrances to shopping centers, etc. Better than my old slammed vw bug days, getting stuck on speed bumps...

#23 ·
[quote author=xoomoox link=topic=66788.msg1148719#msg1148719 date=1168755047]One Lamborghini Diablo driver installed 4 solid casters under the front lip to prevent scraping.[/quote]

:shock:

Please tell me you had to get under the car to see them. I'd hate to see some scmuck ruin such a pretty car...

#26 ·
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=66788.msg1149543#msg1149543 date=1168814866]
next thing you know is - his car does a BACKFLIP roflmao
[/quote]

Haha, I love that clip. I could think of worse ways of throwing away a few million dollars :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.