Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone here bought a camber/caster adjustments plate. If so where did you get it from. I know a guy that will fabricate one for me or try to anyways. But just wondering if anyone here that has a lowered 3 has already purchased something like this that I might be able to buy also.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
actually, I'm looking to GAIN negative camber. I'm considering just using racing beat springs at some point (as they will give me a small increase in negative camber without too big of a change in spring rate), but adjustable camber plates are always better (so you can even out any manufacturing differences).

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i noticed that on focus sport.com that their is caster camber plates available for their car. I believe they would also work with ares but I'm not 100% positive. They state that you would need to grind down the top of the strut tower to make it flush(straight). When I went to go have a custom design for my car built by someone down the street at a metal manufactoring plant they told me the same thing so I am assuming it would be compatible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I called SRmotorsports about their camber plates. They said they dropped the project. No exact reason, she just said if there is not a large need /market they do not continue. My theory is that the stock setup has enough adjustment to compensate???? :? The rear however I feel is needed, my son's car is SEVERLY wearing the rear tires. I have a Mazdaspeed kit on order. I hope it works?? I mean has enough adjustment. I have a Honda and it requires the kits front and rear for correct adjustment, I thought the M3 would be the same, so I persued the camber plates. Only to find none. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
There is no camber or caster adjustment front or rear. Only thing that is adjustable is the toe. The big problem with making a camber/caster plate for the front is that the strut bearing, topmount, etc. is all one big assembly. You would need a new strut hat and then a spherical bearing in the plate. All that would be easier to do if you used coilovers due to the smaller diameter(which is standardized) of the top of the spring. Basically, there is no easy way of doing it unless you swapped out a bunch of stuff. The rear is simple, though, just get a new control arm to adjust the camber.

jetmech53, did you by any chance get the car alligned after lowering it. I lowered mine and it through the toe way off at all 4 corners. Improper toe will wear the tires faster than anything. I rolled a whole week(300+ miles) without an alignment and it wore the inner parts of the tires pretty well. Too much negative camber will wear the tires too, but not nearly as fast.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
[quote author=jetmech53 link=topic=67490.msg1396703#msg1396703 date=1178707177]
I called SRmotorsports about their camber plates. They said they dropped the project. No exact reason, she just said if there is not a large need /market they do not continue. My theory is that the stock setup has enough adjustment to compensate???? :? The rear however I feel is needed, my son's car is SEVERLY wearing the rear tires. I have a Mazdaspeed kit on order. I hope it works?? I mean has enough adjustment. I have a Honda and it requires the kits front and rear for correct adjustment, I thought the M3 would be the same, so I persued the camber plates. Only to find none. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

I have the Mazdaspeed springs & camber kit - the camber kit is not adjustable. They are fixed camber arms. They will improve the camber, but you will need an alignment - the front and rear (especially) was way out after lowering.

Excessive toe (in or out) will destroy tires faster than excessive camber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts