·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm I did read the source article further and now I have some doubts about this though (IE the veracity of it). It states that it'll reduce NOx emissions because the engine can burn leaner. However, if you increase the fuel air ratio in an engine beyond 14.7:1 (stiochometrically correct air:fuel ratio for a gasoline engine) you actually increase NOx emissions by an order of magnitude nearly. This is partly why advanced lean burn engines have somewhat different catalysts or methods of reducing NOx emissions, because burning (a very fuel efficient mix) >14.7:1 air:fuel produces incredible amounts of NOx otherwise.

So, not sure what to believe about the article. Of course the article doesn't get in to it, but maybe, possibly it can lower the combustion temperature in some way because of how it burn a lean mixture so that NOx emissions are reduced (this is in large part what produces such increased levels of NOx emissions in a lean burn, is higher temperatures combined with free oxygen combining with nitrogen as a result of extremely high temperatures).

·
Registered
121 Posts
sorry when i first read the title i had the image Dr Evil in an Austin Powers movie wanting "sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads".

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=189633.msg4000925#msg4000925 date=1303412023]
Hmmm I did read the source article further and now I have some doubts about this though (IE the veracity of it). It states that it'll reduce NOx emissions because the engine can burn leaner. However, if you increase the fuel air ratio in an engine beyond 14.7:1 (stiochometrically correct air:fuel ratio for a gasoline engine) you actually increase NOx emissions by an order of magnitude nearly. This is partly why advanced lean burn engines have somewhat different catalysts or methods of reducing NOx emissions, because burning (a very fuel efficient mix) >14.7:1 air:fuel produces incredible amounts of NOx otherwise.

So, not sure what to believe about the article. Of course the article doesn't get in to it, but maybe, possibly it can lower the combustion temperature in some way because of how it burn a lean mixture so that NOx emissions are reduced (this is in large part what produces such increased levels of NOx emissions in a lean burn, is higher temperatures combined with free oxygen combining with nitrogen as a result of extremely high temperatures).
[/quote]

i agree. i was thinking the same thing when i read through it. It would be interesting to see where this goes, but by their logic, it will not decrease NOx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts