Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a buddy who conjectures that the 06 3 may have forged internals (something about being close to teh build time for speed3, it happened before with the mx5, etc). i think he's a big liar-face. what say you knowledgable people? anyone know for sure? comments/links would be great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump....somebody out there has to know for sure one way or the other!

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
i dont think it works that way

then you would be asking if 07's have it

different motor model

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

The Duratec 23 is a 2.3 L (2261 cc) version of the Mazda-designed Duratec 20. Bore is 87.4 mm and stroke is 94 mm. It has an aluminum engine block with cast iron cylinder liners and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast camshaft.

So I looked up "fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods" and found:

http://www.metaldyne.com/metaldyne/sections/engine/prod_pmConnectingRod.aspx

and a press release from metaldyne announcing a partnership with Mazda

http://www.metaldyne.com/metaldyne/sections/newsroom/documents/Archive/20020401.pdf

So, it looks like at least the rods are forged...

Piston info:

"In Japan, Mazda Motor Corp. sold its Microtechno piston plant in Hiroshima to German supplier Kolbenschmidt Pierburg AG in February 2003.

Kolbenschmidt Pierburg purchased the facility after two years of negotiations with Mazda and after the supplier had worked with Mazda and Ford on the pistons for today's inline 4-cyl. "world engine," which comes in displacements of 1.8L, 2L and 2.3L."

"To meet these challenges in the gasoline engine market, KS Kolbenschmidt has, for example, developed its LiteKS® piston technology which achieves an increase in endurance strength for significantly less weight. This technology is being used in most of the present series-production pistons."
http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_produktbroschueren/k_ottokolben_LiteKS_e.pdf

If Mazda is using their LiteKS product, it looks like they are cast and not forged...still looks like alot of engineering and design went into it.

So my friend was only a partial liar-face :)

Perhaps there's a turbo in my future?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
You can turbo without forged internals

But i will let you live your story, but i still dont believe 2006 & 2007 Models have the same motor model as the 2007 Mazdaspeed3, they are really different starting at DISI and going from there, i have taken off the intercooler and the motor doesnt look anything like a regular Mazda3 motor.... feed on that :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, they are totally different engines but they do share some common characteristics that I would think Mazda would capitalize on for economies of scale, minimize # of unique parts, etc...

2007 MazdaSpeed 3 Bore x stroke: 87.5mm bore x 94mm stroke

2006 Mazda 3 2.3L Bore x stroke: 87.5mm bore x 94mm stroke

Would really like it if someone could confirm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sounds like an easy way to confirm your theory would be to get someone with a service/parts manuals to compare the connecting rods from the two models......

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
To bad they are $140 each :shock:

a few members on here have them though

or just bother a dealer/sponsor for the answers

·
Registered
736 Posts
"Power is provided by a turbocharged/intercooled 2.3-litre four cylinder that features direct fuel injection, re-profiled cylinder head, strengthened crankshaft, and various internals modifications"

This is from this website http://www.westerndriver.com/default.aspx?ID=207 . So it seems like the speed3 powerplant has a more than few differences than the standard 3.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I don't think so. The 2.3 DISI engine has been around longer than the Mazdaspeed3 has. If they were going to start putting forged internals in all 2.3s when they started building the DISI 2.3, why wouldn't they have already done with when the Mazdaspeed6 came out?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted 2 dealers on the forums here, no response.....

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote [email protected] link=topic=71569.msg1411689#msg1411689 date=1179247474]
They do not have forged internals. Our internals will not hold up long with alot of power. I had to buy wiseco and pauter parts to handle the power I am running in my 06 so yes ur friend is an idiot :)
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I need to go forged. You still got that block J?

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=71569.msg1411719#msg1411719 date=1179248213]
[quote [email protected] link=topic=71569.msg1411689#msg1411689 date=1179247474]
They do not have forged internals. Our internals will not hold up long with alot of power. I had to buy wiseco and pauter parts to handle the power I am running in my 06 so yes ur friend is an idiot :)
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I need to go forged. You still got that block J?
[/quote]
2Jz ?

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
i am just messing around dude.

like who would put a 2jz in our car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts