Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we all know that Ford owns 34% of Mazda. I was just surfing the internet and happened to find some interior pictures of the new Ford F-150 pickup.

Now here is an interior shot of the new Ford truck. Notive the circular air vents on the interior. They are very strikingly similar to the air vents used on the Mz3 interior except the truck air vents are silver..

Ford F-150 Interior

Now the
Mazda3 Interior

Notice the similar circular air vents????

Now I know its very minimal, but it makes you wonder what other parts of the Mz3 are shared with other production cars. I believe the ration for parts is 60/40. That is 60% of the car consists of parts supplied by Mazda and 40% of the parts are supplied by Ford (or other manufacturers).

·
Registered
207 Posts
WOW thats an interior of a Ford. looks kinda classy, anyway I think i seen something similar like those airvents in the 350Z. Maybe car companies just use a standard airvent instead of deveolping their own. HMMM after hearing Mazda designers had some alfa influence they might appear on those cars as well cause i know the 6 had some inspiration from them.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My brother's 2001 Celica has circular vents. I really don't think its a Ford thing, just the new car thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also, remember that one of the advantages of belonging to such a large group of car companies is that you can share from the parts bin in order to cut costs. Not just the chassis, but many interior parts as well. Take a look at the interior of a Jaguar sometime, you'll see parts that look like they might be out of a Ford Taurus. It may very well be that Ford pulled the circular vents from the Mazda bin to save a couple bucks. Who knows?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife's Matrix has almost identical vents as well. My guess is that they are all buying from the same 3rd party manufacturer...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Ford Influence Evident ??? You be the judge (pics includ

darian said:
Now I know its very minimal, but it makes you wonder what other parts of the Mz3 are shared with other production cars.
No, not really. It's just cost cutting. And even if it isn't the direct result of cost-cutting, it's just a current design trend which can be found in a multitude of automobiles.

I seriously doubt that F-150 engineers ever collaborated with Axela engineers.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ya there are alot of current cars from several different OEMs with those same round air vents... whoever the supplier is they must be making a killing :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would add that I could car less the pedigree of the new vents. They are far better than the eyeball socket vents on my Miata. The stay aimed where they are pointed and stay opened or closed as selected. And in the MZ3 black are quite attractive. Give that engineer a kudo whether he works for Mazda of FoMoCo.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Geez... makes me wanna graft that cluster into my 3....

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
hey those things reminded me of my friends old 94 tercel...has the same air vents to..at least looks similar..round and same shape..

·
Registered
882 Posts
I thought Ford owned more like 50+% of Mazda now.

I'd probably say that round air vents are more in style now too, probably why your seeing more of them.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
33% + 1 in Japan is controlling interest...

The Ford/Mazda partnership isn't always a bad thing, counting in technology from other Ford partnets. The Mazda3 is a product of such a partnership as the chassis was co-engineered by Volvo. Duratec engines (in the Mazda6 and Tribute) are very reliable.

I can't speak for Ford transmissions however...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Most car interiors look similar. Rectangles are out and circles are in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have seen much much worse, for a while I think it was in the early 90's the Aston Martin Vantage had the same steering wheel as the Ford Aerostar !!! Try to beat this :D

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
At least they aren't putting Taurus seats, or an F-150 suspension in the MZ3 :) I can't beat the Aerostar steering wheel in an Aston Martin.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mazda is to Ford now what Mercury was to Ford before it died. It's their sporty youthful interestingly styled division. Let's just hope it doesn't go the way of the winged dude.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts