Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thougth this was kind of interesting. Basically, it's cheaper for them to design things together by going halfsies. The link is below if you want to read the short article. Since it was GM that had to ask Ford for help, I guess we now truly know who the superior manufacturer is. I kid, I kid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20080804?rpc=44

After reading the last sentence of the article, I wonder if our 6AT's are a design from Ford and GM colaborating.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
It's not entirely shocking, they've done it before in the 70's and 80's. Several Ford and GM cars / trucks used the same MTX transmission.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
[quote author=kilacam19 link=topic=119537.msg2515989#msg2515989 date=1217882238]
Ford and GM are a joke. How can companies lose billions of dollars and still be in buisness.
[/quote]Uh... there are plenty of companies that take hits and still be in business. Biggest examples I can think of are in the gaming industry. Microsoft and sony have lost billions.

Hopefully Ford and GM ask the mazda division for some help in design.

Granted it seems like euro designed fords are more appealing than US ones...

·
Registered
887 Posts
[quote author=reivaj link=topic=119537.msg2516017#msg2516017 date=1217883034]
[quote author=kilacam19 link=topic=119537.msg2515989#msg2515989 date=1217882238]
Ford and GM are a joke. How can companies lose billions of dollars and still be in buisness.
[/quote]Uh... there are plenty of companies that take hits and still be in business. Biggest examples I can think of are in the gaming industry. Microsoft and sony have lost billions.

Hopefully Ford and GM ask the mazda division for some help in design.

Granted it seems like euro designed fords are more appealing than US ones...
[/quote]

ford already did ask mazda for help. infact, mazda is deisgning several new car for ford in the U.S considering mazdas are selling so well and fords arent.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Don't forget Ford Europe has a number of amazing cars the Euro Focus and the Mondeo being only two examples. With Ford NA admitting they're bringing the Euro Focus here maybe things are starting to change.

·
Registered
380 Posts
" Don't forget Ford Europe has a number of amazing cars the Euro Focus and the Mondeo being only two examples. With Ford NA admitting they're bringing the Euro Focus here maybe things are starting to change. "

The Damage is done. Its going to take a lot of work to improve Ford reputation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
" And now they're starting. I can't wait to see what they end up with. "

Starting about 3 years too late. GM probably has enough money to survive for another year with record losses. You can put all the spin on it you want. GM is Done and Ford will probably survive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Ford would sell us all of the Euro versions, they wouldn't have problems selling anything. The Euro designs are always more eye appealing and have more options than US verisons. Personally, I like Euro designs better than the racey import designs. Don't get me wrong, the imports look catchy at first, but after a couple of years, their styling just isn't as appealing. European designs just don't ever seem to get old. But, that's JMO. When I was younger, I was all about wild body kits and neons, but now that I'm starting to get a little older, I like subtle styling, like with the Fusion. I don't think that Mazda should neccessarily start designing Ford's vehicles, but I think that Ford should start offering the Euro versions in the US.

I don't think that GM and Ford working together is a bad thing. I actually like both companies' products, and I think this could be a very good thing for Ford and GM. Splitting costs and making developmental progress at the same time is a very good thing.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Don't count GM out yet, they also have some really interesting designs in other markets. The question is will they react fast enough to do well in the next 4-5 years, or will it take 10+.

Face it, the odds of such a huge international corporation going down in a year are very low. Times might get lean, but GM is so big they will survive. They were #3 on the 2007 Fortune 500 list. They are not going to disappear.

Honestly, out of the big 3 I'd be most worried about Chrysler.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about it, GM powertrains are excellent. GM and Ford share a new 6-speed ATX now.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=Steve27 link=topic=119537.msg2515637#msg2515637 date=1217872735]
I thougth this was kind of interesting. Basically, it's cheaper for them to design things together by going halfsies. The link is below if you want to read the short article. Since it was GM that had to ask Ford for help, I guess we now truly know who the superior manufacturer is. I kid, I kid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20080804?rpc=44

After reading the last sentence of the article, I wonder if our 6AT's are a design from Ford and GM colaborating.
[/quote]

Toyota? :lol:

I mean they are the ones still making a handsome profit.
-Matt

·
Registered
464 Posts
How can companies lose billions of dollars and still be in buisness.
[/quote]

Look at the losses at the Post Office and DHL. It's mind boggling. Post office lost 900+ million last quarter, DHL lost 900 million for last year and is planning on losing over 1 billion this year. UPS does the same work and makes billions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
guys guys guys....i dont think any of you read the article, the collaboration is for powertrains ONLY specifically a turbo I4 and ford wants some of the volt pie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts