Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how this works. If you walk in to a dealership and want to buy a Mazda 3, and they tell you it's going to take 3 months for it to arrive, when do you pay for it ? The reason I'm asking is I'll either trade in or sell my Civic privately and use it for a decent downpayment, but I need it pretty much until I can drive the 3 off the lot. However, if you need to pay up front for the 3 that would mean I'd be without a car for possibly 2-3 months. Maybe you just need to pay a deposit ? Can anyone explain this to a guy who's always been able to take posession within a couple days of purchase ?

thanks,

vermin

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
For me, I asked my saleswoman when my choice of MZ3 would be coming in, and she told me Mid-Late March. All I have to do is give a $100 refundable deposit when I test out the Xenons at night, probably in the beginning of March ( of course the deposit amount will be different at different dealers).

I doubt they would make you trade in your car early just to reserve the car. I bet they will give you at least a ballpark figure for your trade, and you can just give your trade to them when your car arrives. I will be trading in my current car, and unless they are going to give me a loaner car for the 2-3 weeks before my car would come in, I would not agree to an early trade-in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
vermintrex said:
Absinthe said:
They usually give you a temporary car until you get the car you want.
Even if your car won't arrive for months ? Seems like a long time for a loaner.

vermin
That sounds very dangerous to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
dealers might give you a trade in quote... but don't expect that to be what they'll give you at time of actual trade in unless you put it all in writing and they agree to that amount... highly unlikely they'll give you this in writing.. try selling it on your own until your car comes.. if u find a buyer around the time your car is suppose to arrive, talk to you dealer to see if they'll give you a loaner until it arrives. my dealer was willing to do that.. but not for months.. more like a week or two.... otherwise, you run the risk of getting less for the trade in than you expected when you could've used that time to sell it for more..

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I ordered my car at the end of January, my dealer required a $1000 deposit and gave me a sheet that listed out the cars specs. I also signed a sheet of paper that showed i was paying S-Plan for the car and that i had given them a $1000 refundable deposit (make sure you have the refundable part in there). The dealer should not ask for you to pay for the car right away. Why pay for something you have never seen before? And why pay for something you can't use?? Also, don't agree to any payment terms or anything else like that. It should be a quick 30 mins in the dealership to just get the car ordered and give them a check. That's just from my experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
For those of you that had place an order, did you pay MSRP? What is the process? Do you
settle on the price before you order?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys have been really helpful so far. I can't wait till i get my new Mazda 3 HB. Ive never purchased a car by myself before (im 21) and i really feel a bit more confident about it. :0) Yall are awesome.

I do have a question though, what kind of APR are the dealerships usually offering??? my credit is okay, but not perfect and i dont want huge pymts. im prob gonna put down like $5000 to push the pymts down... :bananahump:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have an account with a credit union? That's how i'm doing my financing and i'm getting 4.65%/60 mos. I also applied with E-Loan and Capitol One Auto Finance and they both offered me 5.49%/60 mos. I'm 22 and i have pretty good credit, so i think i've done pretty well. Putting down $5000 would be a good thing... that's how i got the lower rate at the credit union.

Re: the price. I am paying S-Plan price, so there's no negotiating involved. I dont' know what the exact price of the car will be until i see the invoice though. I would think that you would agree on a price before you order, and i wouldn't go over $300 above invoice. Thing is, if you agree on a price, there's no way to gurantee that's what they'll sell it to you when the car arrives. You would need to get the specs of the car and the price they are offering in writing before you left. Don't fill out a purchase order (or anything that requires you to buy the car that arrives), at least i wouldn't recommend it. Why would you buy something before you saw it? Especially something that costs over $15,000?!?

Only 2 more weeks before mine arrives... on the boat now! Can't wait!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just ordered mine yesterday. I could have it in a few weeks but told the dealer I'd prefer a mid-April pickup.

I went through the entire process of deciding on the package and options I wanted. After getting a quote, I did a bit of haggling. Once a final price was quoted and I decided I wanted to order, I was required to put a deposit down (minimum $500). I was told I could simply apply that deposit as a down payment upon delivery, or have it refunded (don't know why I'd do that). I ended up putting $800 down as that was what I had.

I then went and signed the vehicle purchase agreement (buying on a 6 year loan through the dealership at 6.99%). When the car is delivered, I can make a down payment of as much as I'd like, and the financing will be adjusted to reflect that. Without any down payment, I'm paying $233.65 CDN bi-weekly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts