Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,757 Posts
SBTanMan said:
..extra couple thousand dollars to put one of these in your car
Wrong. A good 7" touch screen powered off a 2.0gHz/40HD/512RAM/128DDR Nvidia VC is about $1,100. Of course there are a few other things you need (like music in MP3 and movies in ATI/Mpeg/WMV) and a few cables (around $100 or so)... and whamo!

You get: DVD playback, GPS/Nav/Net compatible, DVD/Audio/VCD playback, can add backup camera that records, download pics from your phone/digicam/digirecorder.

All this... but ya gotta know where to look :D

· Registered
774 Posts
But don't you need a compact case for the PC as provided by car-puter or somebody similar? Also, I'm pretty sure the PC he used was shock-mounted so that it did kill the HD over bumps, and that makes a big difference in the survival of your components. And adding the GPS is more money for the hardware, plus that camera has to cost a good 150 bucks for a good one...For me, it would be cool to switch for the NAV equipped dash so you don't have to cut into the stock stereo, and that way you could somehow just add in the computer as the Aux audio input so you don't lose your CD-Changer and could put the touch screen right where the NAV screen would go. And, it would save a lot of cutting and fiberglassing, assuming the dash replacement weren't too difficult. It's the install that will cost you the other 800 dollars to equal 2k, at least for those of us who don't know fiberglass or Bondo and would have to pay somebody to do at least some of the work. I mean, I know enough about computers to do that stuff, but the actual install I would have to get somebody else to do, and that would have to cost buck.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Yea, install would kill ya. A guy came in the other day with a 6s and I quoted him $500 for a custom faceplate that would house a 7" monitor and a DVD player under it. The $500 is only the faceplate.. installation of the DVD is $125 and the monitor is another $125. Our painter would charge at least $200 for a custom flaked Blue paint (matches his exterior).

Guy was blown away how expensive it was. But when I shown his shots of various installs that had a monitor and DVD player, he was amazed. Hopefully he comes back and wants me to install it.

The setup I speak of is a Carputer setup.. so happens they are the pioneers in Carputer setups. You would think the casing of the harddrive would be big.. but it is no bigger than 12" x 12" x 4". It is shock resistant and setup to be powered by 12v. The VC is so stable that it will not flinch one when the bass drops (so happens all the monitors out there will if the bass is extreme).

· Registered
774 Posts
Hmm. Now all I need is to: pay off my car, find a good place to get tint, and save up 2500 bucks (I figure it will look better to just get the dash piece from the NAV equipped ones than fiberglassing/using Bondo and ripping out the middle of my center stack. Actually, if I could just use the NAV thingy and switch for a touch screen, then I could probably do a lot of the wiring myself, albeit with some help from somebody experienced in running wires from front to back in a Mazda sedan...now to follow the list. hahah, isn't that always the challenge? It's like planning to win the Lottery.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Lol.

The 3 comes apart easy. Wait for a warm day and you'll see. The panels nearly fall apart with little to no effort. I have the nav screen/vent panel on order.... who knows when it will arrive. The parts guy told me dont expect it for at least 2-3 months.

When it comes, you can bet I will have that thing in pieces figuring out how it gets power and its signal.

This could be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

· Registered
774 Posts
I sense another step-by-step coming on, and I like it. Seriously, though, how much were you quoted for that piece? Maybe in a few years, after the warranty is up I'll start dumping tons of cash into fun little projects like that.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I sometimes can get insider pricing. But on that piece, I got it on order for $278. Its a $400+ piece I think (figuring 55~65% markup), could be more.

Someone PM me asking whats the part number.. and he was listing different parts of the system and the only one that came close was $599 Nav Panel. Retail on the DVD player is $899!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.