Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
774 Posts
About the only way you'd get me to change my whole dash is to put in something like the Audi guy did. I know it's been shown before, but here it is again--the man is obviously good at what he does. Oh, and for those who haven't seen it yet, be prepared to examine your finances for an extra couple thousand dollars to put one of these in your car. http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1734601.phtml

· Registered
774 Posts
But don't you need a compact case for the PC as provided by car-puter or somebody similar? Also, I'm pretty sure the PC he used was shock-mounted so that it did kill the HD over bumps, and that makes a big difference in the survival of your components. And adding the GPS is more money for the hardware, plus that camera has to cost a good 150 bucks for a good one...For me, it would be cool to switch for the NAV equipped dash so you don't have to cut into the stock stereo, and that way you could somehow just add in the computer as the Aux audio input so you don't lose your CD-Changer and could put the touch screen right where the NAV screen would go. And, it would save a lot of cutting and fiberglassing, assuming the dash replacement weren't too difficult. It's the install that will cost you the other 800 dollars to equal 2k, at least for those of us who don't know fiberglass or Bondo and would have to pay somebody to do at least some of the work. I mean, I know enough about computers to do that stuff, but the actual install I would have to get somebody else to do, and that would have to cost buck.

· Registered
774 Posts
Hmm. Now all I need is to: pay off my car, find a good place to get tint, and save up 2500 bucks (I figure it will look better to just get the dash piece from the NAV equipped ones than fiberglassing/using Bondo and ripping out the middle of my center stack. Actually, if I could just use the NAV thingy and switch for a touch screen, then I could probably do a lot of the wiring myself, albeit with some help from somebody experienced in running wires from front to back in a Mazda sedan...now to follow the list. hahah, isn't that always the challenge? It's like planning to win the Lottery.

· Registered
774 Posts
I sense another step-by-step coming on, and I like it. Seriously, though, how much were you quoted for that piece? Maybe in a few years, after the warranty is up I'll start dumping tons of cash into fun little projects like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.