Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ripped out the hed unit today and I'm attempting to try to use the existing mounting for the new head unit. This would mean only a nice panel around the head unit would be needed.

Pictures are soon to come... my digi cam battery needs to charge.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Small update... with the use of a hot knife to cut off the bottom part of the front panel (everything under the CD controls and the volume knob), it looks like most of the stock look can be retained. Aftermarket decks fit perfectly into the existing cage, and the LCD (non working) can be kept in the stock location for theft dettering and no worry of having to fill the big hole.

If you need a hot knife, Michaels (a craft store) hasa 50% off coupon for one item for today (sunday) and tomorrow. I'm making a trip in a second to get mine :)

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glassing the rear of the unit might be a real pain. There are a lot of things poking out, then you'd have to build up about an extra half inch or so to have the same depth. I can send a pic of the stripped face plate if you want.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a little update: there is no easy way to integrate any of the factory CD player face plate with an aftermarket CD player. There simply isn't enough room. On the other hand, a little hackjob to the mounting hardware (the place where you take out the two screws to release the factory CD player) allows you to use the existing mounting brackets with very nice results. You can also leave the LCD panel to cover the hole behind the faux-carbon fiber panel.

Looks like I'll be fiberglassing a new panel around the CD player sometime soon :(

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll most likely do a build up from the back to the front. I'm trying to devise a way to make a nice little frame so little or no building up is required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.