Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I have a plan to remove the factory entirely yet keep the same curves. I also have an idea for the factory display slot.

When the dough starts rollin....

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Bingo. I plan to rip the faceplate off the factory HU (if someone does my trade thingie), glass the rear and fill the front. As for the hole for the display, that will be glassed as well.

Definately going to paint the faceplate. But still debating what I want to do with the carbon fiber piece. I may just lay a strip of authentic carbon fiber with silver weave to kinda keep that satin silver finish found on the vents and door handle.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
It would be easy. I wouldnt use 'glass sheets, but tiger hair to build up the rear. Then finish the front with body filler.

If you glass the front, it would take forever to clean it up and smoothen it out. So i figure Ill just reinforce the rear and use only filler on the front.

Send me a pic of the rear. Im curious of how it looks.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Nah, that wont be bad at all. Tiger hair will settle into all the cracks easily. Only doing it that way to reinforce the rear.

Once I set myself on what deck I want, then the cutting/glassin'/filler will kick in.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I think Metra will make one, but who knows when. The new Accord will be getting a kit sometime this month or next. They have waited about a year to even see it.

Although its slick, it will also retail around the low $200s. I dont think the 3 is as extensive as the Accord (all hvac controls are attached to the HU) but it will take time.

Are you tryin to integrate a DVD player with the factory?

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Noone yet has done it. But I have ideas on how to do it.

My dealer is going to keep my updated on when I can order the nav screen/vent panel. As soon as it becomes available, I will make a writeup on it.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I havent look at it extensively, but if your going full glass front plate, tape the factory faceplate, wax the tape and glass over it. If you dont go over 1/8 thick it would stick out too far. Then again you can glass in a rear metal backing plate and sand the front till it matches with the dash.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
SBTanMan said:
..extra couple thousand dollars to put one of these in your car
Wrong. A good 7" touch screen powered off a 2.0gHz/40HD/512RAM/128DDR Nvidia VC is about $1,100. Of course there are a few other things you need (like music in MP3 and movies in ATI/Mpeg/WMV) and a few cables (around $100 or so)... and whamo!

You get: DVD playback, GPS/Nav/Net compatible, DVD/Audio/VCD playback, can add backup camera that records, download pics from your phone/digicam/digirecorder.

All this... but ya gotta know where to look :D

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Yea, install would kill ya. A guy came in the other day with a 6s and I quoted him $500 for a custom faceplate that would house a 7" monitor and a DVD player under it. The $500 is only the faceplate.. installation of the DVD is $125 and the monitor is another $125. Our painter would charge at least $200 for a custom flaked Blue paint (matches his exterior).

Guy was blown away how expensive it was. But when I shown his shots of various installs that had a monitor and DVD player, he was amazed. Hopefully he comes back and wants me to install it.

The setup I speak of is a Carputer setup.. so happens they are the pioneers in Carputer setups. You would think the casing of the harddrive would be big.. but it is no bigger than 12" x 12" x 4". It is shock resistant and setup to be powered by 12v. The VC is so stable that it will not flinch one when the bass drops (so happens all the monitors out there will if the bass is extreme).

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Lol.

The 3 comes apart easy. Wait for a warm day and you'll see. The panels nearly fall apart with little to no effort. I have the nav screen/vent panel on order.... who knows when it will arrive. The parts guy told me dont expect it for at least 2-3 months.

When it comes, you can bet I will have that thing in pieces figuring out how it gets power and its signal.

This could be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I sometimes can get insider pricing. But on that piece, I got it on order for $278. Its a $400+ piece I think (figuring 55~65% markup), could be more.

Someone PM me asking whats the part number.. and he was listing different parts of the system and the only one that came close was $599 Nav Panel. Retail on the DVD player is $899!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.