Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ripped out the hed unit today and I'm attempting to try to use the existing mounting for the new head unit. This would mean only a nice panel around the head unit would be needed.

Pictures are soon to come... my digi cam battery needs to charge.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Small update... with the use of a hot knife to cut off the bottom part of the front panel (everything under the CD controls and the volume knob), it looks like most of the stock look can be retained. Aftermarket decks fit perfectly into the existing cage, and the LCD (non working) can be kept in the stock location for theft dettering and no worry of having to fill the big hole.

If you need a hot knife, Michaels (a craft store) hasa 50% off coupon for one item for today (sunday) and tomorrow. I'm making a trip in a second to get mine :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have a plan to remove the factory entirely yet keep the same curves. I also have an idea for the factory display slot.

When the dough starts rollin....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to venture a guess at some fibreglassing.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Bingo. I plan to rip the faceplate off the factory HU (if someone does my trade thingie), glass the rear and fill the front. As for the hole for the display, that will be glassed as well.

Definately going to paint the faceplate. But still debating what I want to do with the carbon fiber piece. I may just lay a strip of authentic carbon fiber with silver weave to kinda keep that satin silver finish found on the vents and door handle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glassing the rear of the unit might be a real pain. There are a lot of things poking out, then you'd have to build up about an extra half inch or so to have the same depth. I can send a pic of the stripped face plate if you want.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
It would be easy. I wouldnt use 'glass sheets, but tiger hair to build up the rear. Then finish the front with body filler.

If you glass the front, it would take forever to clean it up and smoothen it out. So i figure Ill just reinforce the rear and use only filler on the front.

Send me a pic of the rear. Im curious of how it looks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Not the best pic in the world, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Nah, that wont be bad at all. Tiger hair will settle into all the cracks easily. Only doing it that way to reinforce the rear.

Once I set myself on what deck I want, then the cutting/glassin'/filler will kick in.

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds good..

Do you think they'll ever release an aftermarket face plate???

I was thinking of putting in a DVD player. can this be done without affecting the stock stereo and LCD screen???

Like adding some sort of switching device?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I think Metra will make one, but who knows when. The new Accord will be getting a kit sometime this month or next. They have waited about a year to even see it.

Although its slick, it will also retail around the low $200s. I dont think the 3 is as extensive as the Accord (all hvac controls are attached to the HU) but it will take time.

Are you tryin to integrate a DVD player with the factory?

M

·
0 Posts
Are you tryin to integrate a DVD player with the factory?
yeah..or at least see if it can be done without loses to any of the factory functionality.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Noone yet has done it. But I have ideas on how to do it.

My dealer is going to keep my updated on when I can order the nav screen/vent panel. As soon as it becomes available, I will make a writeup on it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a little update: there is no easy way to integrate any of the factory CD player face plate with an aftermarket CD player. There simply isn't enough room. On the other hand, a little hackjob to the mounting hardware (the place where you take out the two screws to release the factory CD player) allows you to use the existing mounting brackets with very nice results. You can also leave the LCD panel to cover the hole behind the faux-carbon fiber panel.

Looks like I'll be fiberglassing a new panel around the CD player sometime soon :(

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I havent look at it extensively, but if your going full glass front plate, tape the factory faceplate, wax the tape and glass over it. If you dont go over 1/8 thick it would stick out too far. Then again you can glass in a rear metal backing plate and sand the front till it matches with the dash.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll most likely do a build up from the back to the front. I'm trying to devise a way to make a nice little frame so little or no building up is required.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice project, you can keep it!

I'll sit in the bleachers and see how it turns out; for now my deck will collect dust in the closet and I will stay witht he stock look since it unfortunately occupies so much of the dash.

I bought an external EQ and X-over to make up for the digital ones I used to have built into the deck =/

If only the air conditioner controls could be relocated up or down... all of the rest of the dash could be completely done away for... LCD screen? :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A touchscreen LCD might be in the mix one of these days...

·
Registered
773 Posts
About the only way you'd get me to change my whole dash is to put in something like the Audi guy did. I know it's been shown before, but here it is again--the man is obviously good at what he does. Oh, and for those who haven't seen it yet, be prepared to examine your finances for an extra couple thousand dollars to put one of these in your car. http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1734601.phtml

1 - 20 of 28 Posts