Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this evening that when I turn on my high beams my fog lamps go out, and then when I go back to low beam the fog lamps come back on. Is this a problem with my car, or just how the car is wired? I have the Xenon pkg.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know for US, but in Canada it is bylaw that fog light and high beam can't work together, but don't know why.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, your car is fine. Ok, so what's the point of having high beams and fog lights at the same time? High beam is already bright enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've seen this thing in my other cars, When you use high beam your light focuses more on distant object compared to nearyby things. Hence it would be good if fog lights can cover nearby road at same time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
mjoshi said:
I've seen this thing in my other cars, When you use high beam your light focuses more on distant object compared to nearyby things. Hence it would be good if fog lights can cover nearby road at same time.
well the low beams do that for us and on any car with separate low and high beam lenses... i don't want another car with combined lenses ever again, they just aren't as good

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fog lights are for the FOG!! When was the last time you turned on your brights in the fog? You can't see $hit! It's ment to get under the fog so you can see the road without the light reflecting off of all the fog above it. So, if they are "fog" lights, then there is NO reason for them to be on at the same time as your high beams. Other wise, they'd just be more 'headlights'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The reason why you can't have them on at once is because it's illegal in many places..it's silly, but the law is "Unsafe approach to another motorist" or something equally rediculous...or "No more then 4 lights on the front of a vehicle at one time"...highbeams = 4lights, +fogs = 6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That's just stupid....stupid laws

·
Registered
47 Posts
fog lights

Nate said it all.

Fog lights are a safety feature designed for increased visibility in the fog. They are aimed to light below the fog, to minimize reflection and increase visibility of the roadway and markers. This is also the reason for the traditional yellow foglight tint - less reflection of the water in the air, than with white beams.

Since some people apparently don't know, bright lights are unsafe to use in the fog, heavy rain, or snow (when fogs are helpful).

So it's common sense that fog lights should not be switched with brights. It may cause an accident and destroy your precious 3! Not to mention, you or someone else. This is why it's not a stupid law.

Besides, it's rude (not to mention needless and potentially unsafe) to use fog lights in normal driving conditions when traffic is oncoming. Just like giving attitude to a stranger, or blowing smoke in someone's face. You like getting smacked with blinding lights in your eyes when you turn a corner? Yeah, temporary white-out and loss of control - good times, eh?

If anyone flashes their brights at you when your fogs are on in clear weather, this is probably why. But - you probably think they're a**holes, right? Hmmm... Okay....

If you can't see enough immediately in front of you with brights on, then get rid of the full 20% tint on your windshield.
Or take off your sunglasses at night.
Or hotbox when your car is NOT moving...
etc.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I do not get why u say that it's rude with fogs on in normal traffic?

Do u mean only those yellow tinted fogs?

·
Registered
47 Posts
fogs

Just that you don't need fogs - any color - in normal conditions.

And other people don't need foglights in their faces when you round a curve or go over a hill in front of them. Regular lights are fine - fog lights are just unnecessary and excessive. Especially with brights/xenons!?

I took my chill pill.... Pet peeve, yes. I'm just sayin'.

I don't blow smoke in your face, so please don't blow it in mine.

See?

(edit: No offense intended!)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Here's a little story from Europe.

Here in NA ppl drive w/fogs on in the city ALL the time to make their car look better - I do too, I admit it.

However, in Europe, unless you NEED to have fogs on, ppl will flash their highbeams at you since it's a considered rude and pointless. My cousin that was visiting France got a taste of it. Being used to driving here w/his fogs on, he turned them on there too in his rental. After a while he realized why everyone was flashing at him.

End of story. OK, so it wasn't that much of a story, but it goes to show why fogs really are for - FOG :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I do not get why u say that it's rude with fogs on in normal traffic?
I too used to drive with my fog lights on, because I liked the way it made the car look. However, I no longer use them, unless there are conditions that warrant it. I find them blinding to drive against. It is another set of lights after all. And on unlit highways they car really ruin your night vision. That seems pretty rude to me, to not care about effecting others vision.

And as far as not being able to have brights on at the same time as fog lights, next time you are in fog, or even heavy snow, turn on your brights. You'll realize that you can see less than with your regular lights. So it's not a stupid law, it's just common sense.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well why i don't get about the fog blinding other ppl is that the light doesn't shoot upward, and that depends on type of car with which kind of fogs (light)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem is they are often aimed incorrectly, people put brighter globes in them(which are often an illegal wattage at least in Aust) and they hit you at a wider angle. Driving in my MX6 which sits lower to the ground than most cars, it *@#$! me more than many as I sit in head/fog light height.

PS this is my pet peeve too! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts