Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Just bought the 2010 mazda 3 I sport. It has fog lights but no bulbs in them. I was wondering if I could buy and put in hid light bulbs in this fog light assembly
View attachment 68594

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
As long as the housings are slotted on the back side for a bulb, and you know what type of bulb you need, I don't see why not.

Personally, I'm spending my money to stick 5000K HID's in the low beams, and use halogens with Lamin-X yellow overlays on the fog lights. I don't see the fog lights adding a lot of visibility out the front of the car compared to a good HID kit in the low beams.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the housings are slotted on the back side for a bulb, and you know what type of bulb you need, I don't see why not.

Personally, I'm spending my money to stick 5000K HID's in the low beams, and use halogens with Lamin-X yellow overlays on the fog lights. I don't see the fog lights adding a lot of visibility out the front of the car compared to a good HID kit in the low beams.
I'm really new to all this and I don't mean to ask so many questions but I don't know what you mean by slotted housing. Here's a picture of inside the fog light. Can you tell if it will work from this picture
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382378555.458673.jpg

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I'm really new to all this and I don't mean to ask so many questions but I don't know what you mean by slotted housing. Here's a picture of inside the fog light. Can you tell if it will work from this picture
View attachment 68602

What I mean is, as long as the back of the housing actually has a spot for a bulb, then you just need a bulb (HID retrofit or halogen) designed to fit that housing. I believe your fog lights take an H11 bulb.

Oddly enough, from the pic, it looks like you already have bulbs installed. Are your fog lights currently working, and you're just asking if you can retrofit HID's into them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I mean is, as long as the back of the housing actually has a spot for a bulb, then you just need a bulb (HID retrofit or halogen) designed to fit that housing. I believe your fog lights take an H11 bulb.

Oddly enough, from the pic, it looks like you already have bulbs installed. Are your fog lights currently working, and you're just asking if you can retrofit HID's into them?
I'm such an idiot hahaha yeah I turned them on and they work. But I do want to put hids in place of them. So retrofit hids in them I guess that's what I was asking

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I'm such an idiot hahaha yeah I turned them on and they work. But I do want to put hids in place of them. So retrofit hids in them I guess that's what I was asking

Yes. Make doubly sure of the bulb type you need (I'm pretty sure it's H11, but pull one out and check the number on it just to be safe). I'm getting TRS/The Retrofit Source for my low beams, but they are pricey at $150. For fog lights, since they're not your primary source of illumination when driving, I'd look at DDM or a cheaper kit to save the cash. Your call, there are plenty of opinions out there.

You may want to rename this thread using the edit function (or, as a moderator, I can for you) to ask for HID recommendations for the fog lights, just so that people know what it is you're looking for. If you like the yellow fog look (like I do) look for a kit with 3000K bulbs, otherwise get whatever color you like the look of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Make doubly sure of the bulb type you need (I'm pretty sure it's H11, but pull one out and check the number on it just to be safe). I'm getting TRS/The Retrofit Source for my low beams, but they are pricey at $150. For fog lights, since they're not your primary source of illumination when driving, I'd look at DDM or a cheaper kit to save the cash. Your call, there are plenty of opinions out there.

You may want to rename this thread using the edit function (or, as a moderator, I can for you) to ask for HID recommendations for the fog lights, just so that people know what it is you're looking for. If you like the yellow fog look (like I do) look for a kit with 3000K bulbs, otherwise get whatever color you like the look of.
Thanks so much! I'm excited to start modding the car! Now I just have to find the thread on how to replace fog light bulbs lol

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Thanks so much! I'm excited to start modding the car! Now I just have to find the thread on how to replace fog light bulbs lol

If you had an 04-09, I'd know. I can't imagine it's very difficult though. Just take apart whatever you have to access the backs of the fog housing, detach the wiring plug from the bulb, and the bulb should twist counterclockwise or clockwise about 1/4 turn and pop straight out. Installing the HID retro bulb will be the same. Wiring is dependant upon the kit (whether or not it uses a relay harness like the nicer kits do, or uses the stock wiring harness to provide all the voltage.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you had an 04-09, I'd know. I can't imagine it's very difficult though. Just take apart whatever you have to access the backs of the fog housing, detach the wiring plug from the bulb, and the bulb should twist counterclockwise or clockwise about 1/4 turn and pop straight out. Installing the HID retro bulb will be the same. Wiring is dependant upon the kit (whether or not it uses a relay harness like the nicer kits do, or uses the stock wiring harness to provide all the voltage.)
What's your opinion on installing halos in the head light unit or buying the whole head light unit with halos in it? Do you know of a reputable place to buy these u it's from? Just bought hid fog lights very excited to install them!

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
What's your opinion on installing halos in the head light unit or buying the whole head light unit with halos in it? Do you know of a reputable place to buy these u it's from? Just bought hid fog lights very excited to install them!

There are others here more knowledgeable about installing halos. I've heard pretty mixed reviews of the quality of the projectors in aftermarket units, but someone may have direct experience with a set that works well.

The catch 22 is an aftermarket unit comes preassembled, installing halos in your existing units requires baking the headlights open. Baking open headlights isn't without some risk of screwing things up, but buying aftermarket you pay more and risk getting poor quality lighting in the end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are others here more knowledgeable about installing halos. I've heard pretty mixed reviews of the quality of the projectors in aftermarket units, but someone may have direct experience with a set that works well.

The catch 22 is an aftermarket unit comes preassembled, installing halos in your existing units requires baking the headlights open. Baking open headlights isn't without some risk of screwing things up, but buying aftermarket you pay more and risk getting poor quality lighting in the end.
Well I definitely don't want to bake anything. I don't even know what that means, it would be bad. I'll start a thread asking about pre assembled head lights. Where should I post that? In this same section? Thanks for your help with the fog lights. Ordered them last night!

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Well I definitely don't want to bake anything. I don't even know what that means, it would be bad. I'll start a thread asking about pre assembled head lights. Where should I post that? In this same section? Thanks for your help with the fog lights. Ordered them last night!

There are how to's describing how to open up your headlights (at least the 1st gens, where more of us have gone down that road.) Basically, you preheat an oven to 175-200, stick your headlight in there for 10 minutes, then very carefully pull the plastic lens off the housing. It's sealed with a butyl rubber strip that's heat activated, so heating it back up causes it to get sticky again. Just repeat to reseal. Problem is, the plastic lens gets a little brittle at that temp, so you run that slight risk of breaking it and destroying the headlight in the process.

It's been done, can't say I know of anyone that did it on a 2nd gen car, but personally I'm staying away from that until I can find a cheap set of junkyard headlights. Minimize the downtime, and that way if I screw up I can still drive my car to work. Figure when I'm happy with them, I'll sell off the other set to recoup part of the money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts