Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on the P5's, some owners have wired the system to use the foglights as the DRL's (daytime running lights). I also know that the Audi's come like this stock.

Does anyone know how we can do this on the 3?

·
Registered
34 Posts
While we're on the topic... is there a way to disable the DRL's??? I'm not a big fan of the DRL's ... I was able to disable them in my old explorer and i know they are usually just a module near the headlight. I dont even remember now why DRL's were introduced?? Anyway if anyone could help.

·
Registered
889 Posts
eguiyab said:
While we're on the topic... is there a way to disable the DRL's??? I'm not a big fan of the DRL's ... I was able to disable them in my old explorer and i know they are usually just a module near the headlight. I dont even remember now why DRL's were introduced?? Anyway if anyone could help.
Exactly which lights are the DRL's hooked up to? The highbeams? I actually would like to have DRL's but I'm U.S. spec. The DRL's could be controlled by two ways. It could be controlled by the ECU so you could probably go to the dealer and have them flash the ECU to the American version or maybe they can just disable it. Another way is by using a relay switch and all you got to do is look at your relay box and pull the right relay off.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
pull the fuses off to turn off the DRL. The DRL is currently wired to the low beams, as the reason to why i don't know... normally a car with 4 headlights systems usually make use of the highbeam as the DRL, or like Audi, uses the fog lights.

I don't want to disable it sice that will be illegal.. i just want it rewired so that it's my fog that's running during day time... not my low beam.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fobby_Monkey said:
pull the fuses off to turn off the DRL. The DRL is currently wired to the low beams, as the reason to why i don't know... normally a car with 4 headlights systems usually make use of the highbeam as the DRL, or like Audi, uses the fog lights.

I don't want to disable it sice that will be illegal.. i just want it rewired so that it's my fog that's running during day time... not my low beam.
That's my aim too.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes me 4.

I want to rewire the DRL to the high-beam so i can mod my projector to HID!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
hahahaha, you guys are indeed extremely funny.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I want to disable my DRL as well but is the wires that connects the light switch to hand brake easily accesible cuz it was one hell of time to reach the wires in the P5 in order to disable it. I want to disable it cuz of the HID's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that I want to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
hrmm... few more questions... if we found a way to wire the DRL to the fog lights, how would this affect the auto lights? would the foglights just constantly be on? would the auto lights turn my future HIDs on at night too?

ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had rewired my Dodge Neon so the fog lamps would work independantly from the low beams. I would guess the process is similar for a MZ3. There was a wire at the switch that would allow the fog light to come on only if the low beams were on. I think I spliced into a wire that had power when the ignition was on that way my fog lights would turn off with the key and work with no lights, parking lights, or high and low beams. Maybe if I feel ambitious, I'll try and take apart my headlight switch stalk this weekend and see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just had the wiring done last week in toronto. i paid $130 CAN for the job.

it includes:
cut off DRL
total control of fog light (so u can run it as DRL)
still have the auto on/off function (cause my car has HID installed)

i just want to say it is completely possible with mazda3 but i paid $130 for about 3 hours of labour. i guess it is pretty complicated...........

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Good to hear that!

Can you let me know where you got it done? A website or tel# w/the major intersection would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's great news hopkins. I am thinking of doing this too.

Oh wait...will this mod give you any hassle when it comes to bring the car back to the car dealer for a problem?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm hoping many more people will disable the DRL in the city.. it's just plain useless. It blinds you more than it helps the traffic.

I think every car should be equipped with Auto Headlight instead of DRL. I hate stupid drivers using DRL as headlights at nite... maybe they are just careless.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Reeyal said:
That's great news hopkins. I am thinking of doing this too.

Oh wait...will this mod give you any hassle when it comes to bring the car back to the car dealer for a problem?
If your relays fry or for anything that;s tied in directly with the lights, they might deny warranty work. But they can't deny warranty work if your radio stops working...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts