Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I asked this before just gonna cover my ass one more time,

2.3 Mazda pistons have tiny valve relifs as the 2.3 ford do not. Can I use the ford pistons?

Just checked, both have the same bore and compression ratio, should I be fine using these then?

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136423.msg2939830#msg2939830 date=1234772766]

2.3 Mazda pistons have tiny valve relifs as the 2.3 ford do not. Can I use the ford pistons?

Just checked, both have the same bore and compression ratio, should I be fine using these then?
[/quote]

if the mazda pistons are for ##### compression and the ford pistons are for a higher compression its very very possible you will have piston to valve contact. i would not suggest it.

·
Registered
614 Posts

[/quote]
what kind of pistons did you want to run?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=jesusm3 link=topic=136423.msg2940638#msg2940638 date=1234816232]

[/quote]
what kind of pistons did you want to run?
[/quote]

Oem ford i allredy swooped them up from cosworth for cheap. Im rebuilding, i needed new rods so i bought a full ford oem set just for the rods, but if the pistons will work i might as well use them.

eventually i want to upgrade but cant afford it right now

·
Registered
614 Posts
[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136423.msg2940657#msg2940657 date=1234816753]
both have 9.7:1 compression ratio
[/quote]
so i assume you are not going forced inducted

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no my mods are bsd delete, ranger crank, intake, and I will be getting header+exhaust and a tune soon.

Oh cant forget mild port job (just gasket matched cleaned up and polished)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these are the pistons that I have, but I got them from a different site, they say they work with the mazda3 but they dont have recesses so seems like I would be fine?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's really cool seeing someone go through the internals, and go the all motor route. Boosting is cool and probably just as cost effective, but in my books it's cooler to see something a little off of the mainstream.

·
Registered
501 Posts
given that they are the same compression ratio as stock pistons it looks dicey. Are you sure that the pistons do not have any vlave relief because the ones on the cosworth site here http://www.cosworth.com/shop_item.php?productid=31 and the description says that "the reliefs are larger and deeper to allow for larger valves and longer cam durations." do you have a picture of the pistons

·
Registered
332 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i am holding one right now, these are them but they have oem rods and rings allready installed, Im just rebuilding/deleting shit, and improving flow, for right now, but later down the road I hope to get a spare motor and do a FULL n/a build. Dont plan on pushing 200whp anytime soon even with spray if Im go that route,

BUT Back on subject, what do you think?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136423.msg2942772#msg2942772 date=1234899991]
given that they are the same compression ratio as stock pistons it looks dicey. Are you sure that the pistons do not have any vlave relief because the ones on the cosworth site here http://www.cosworth.com/shop_item.php?productid=31 and the description says that "the reliefs are larger and deeper to allow for larger valves and longer cam durations." do you have a picture of the pistons
[/quote]

they are oem, just ordered through cossy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
oh ok i see they are oem pistons u acquired through cosworth ok. well i think that if they work on a focus engine 2.3L duratec then i recon they should work for the mazda also i would do more research anyway by, looking up the exact type of engine they came off of and find out the stock compression ratio and how long the stroke was. if they are the same then i recon they will work fine. i will note they look a little different than i expected from a N/A engine since they don't have valve reliefs. have you called cosworth to ask them about this..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136423.msg2945537#msg2945537 date=1234985044]
oh ok i see they are oem pistons u acquired through cosworth ok. well i think that if they work on a focus engine 2.3L duratec then i recon they should work for the mazda also i would do more research anyway by, looking up the exact type of engine they came off of and find out the stock compression ratio and how long the stroke was. if they are the same then i recon they will work fine. i will note they look a little different than i expected from a N/A engine since they don't have valve reliefs. have you called cosworth to ask them about this..
[/quote]

They said they have not fitted them and basically dont know but they said probably, the pic is the same style piston (oe replacement) and it lists the pistons as interchange for 2.0 and 2.3 Focus, Fusion, Ranger, Escape,Tribute, 3 5 and 6

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136423.msg2948131#msg2948131 date=1235078119]
sounds like they will work i'm no expert, they seem like they should work fine
[/quote]

sweet you pay for my bent valves lol! Jk

But yeah they are the same bore, same compression, same rods and pins, same rings, they look identical to the madza ones except for tiny ass valve reliefs on the rim of the dish

Im gonna set the head on the block, no bolts with the intake cam in, put the #1 piston at tdc, then rotate the cam and if it pushes on the piston the head should rise.

I cant belive I didnt think of that lol!

Hopefully I will have a verdict tomorrow

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136423.msg2950020#msg2950020 date=1235151572]
yea that will work just don't drop the head on the ground lol.
[/quote]

DURRRR just waiting for my block to be done cleaning they said 4pm they would call me.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts