Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months, when I push in my clutch, I feel a slight chattering. When it started effing up, it only did it on a cold start. Now, it does it constantly. The clutch has to be completely pushed in, almost to the floor. I have a feeling it's not the clutch b/c it's not slipping. What do ya'll think? I hope it's not the throw out bearing :( :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
It sounds like your clutch disk is worn. Chattering and excessive pedal motion are classic signs of a worn clutch. It may only be a matter of time before it starts slipping. Also, I think the clutch is operated by a cable. If the cable is not adjusted properly then the pedal won't have enough motion to disengage the clutch disk completely. Check the cable ends, there should be some kind of adjuster.

Worn throwout bearings usually squeal & grind when you push in the clutch pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
actually this is a classic sign of a bad Throw out bearing. If you look at the little movie, its the surface that contacts the fingers that allows the clutch to disengage. It will chatter and give you some feedback in the pedal when it is being engaged but will be fine when its engaged.

Problem is, its the same labor as a new clutch and its part of the normal replacement. So if its bad you just do the whole clutch. You can live with it til it starts getting grumbly.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
we have a hydraulic clutch. to check if for slippage, put it in 5th, going like 25, and floor it, it your revs creep up quickly then it's slipping. what's your mileage? and do you do a lot of city driving? more info may help figure out what it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts