Mazda3 Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Been procrastinating posting some stuff in here... but my tuning with Dynotronics is done(I'm on the "finalized" file now)... so I took it to the 1/4 mile strip and ran 2 runs with the new tune, then loaded the stock tune to do a comparison.

In a nutshell I ran a 16.5 @ 84.81 mph with the new tune, and ran a 17.1 @ 82.40 mph.

Here are the time slips:

The 16.79 was the very first time I was ever on a drag strip. Launching on a rubber covered surface sucks in a FWD car. hop hop hop hop hop! I made all 3 launches identical and they all sucked because I wanted to keep that a constant as best as possible to compare each run to the next.

And then this last weekend there was an autocross event at Kilkare on the oval/figure 8 track as a joint event between the Cincy SCCA and Western Ohio Region SCCA. It was a lot of fun, got 6 runs, recorded 5 of them(I had a passenger on run #3 so his head was in the way of the camera)... I've got to say I really liked this camera position to see both the course pretty well and what I'm doing. I have never had a need to downshift back into first before and never felt real confident doing it, but decided to play around with it this time and think it was worth it.

The official results are not out yet so I'm not even sure this is my fastest run or not... but it looks the fastest of the ones I don't -think- I hit a cone in. I have one video with some choice language smashing into cones... :eek:h:

At the beginning the revving it up is all wheel spin... that is not slipping the clutch. With the tune on asphalt it is way easier to get a good launch now and spin most all of the way to redline in first.

The raised rev limiter helps a lot too(about 7500 IIRC... though the tach indicates 8000... relatively far off of actual). I bounced off the limiter(in first) towards the very end before crossing the finish, stock rev limit would be a lot worse.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks!

FINALLY the results from the event about 3 weeks ago was just posted:

Final results

Raw times

PAX results

I was super happy with how well I did. I won STF class, was 8th/17 of all the street touring classes(PAX index).

What was funny was the dude in the VW GTI had a bunch of stuff done that was illegal in street touring classes, upgraded injectors and stuff, claimed he was sponsored by a bunch of places... and ran 2 sec slower than me. The guy reminded me of Goldberg from the Mighty Ducks.

Also here is the dyno from the Dynotronics tuning... top 2 lines are with the tune, bottom 2 lines are stock tune. Tested same day only a few minutes apart.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well been a while since I updated anything.

Haven't autocrossed since the last event, season is over, we've been busy with other stuff going on between family visiting, crap going on around the house, and Levi crawling around making all sorts of ruckus.

Only thing new with the car is I'm currently looking at getting a set of snow tires and steel wheels. It's already getting freezing balls cold at night, I think I'll need some winter tires this year.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
snow tires are always a pain, especially here in Montreal. Forced to shell out an extra good 600$ just for tires, on top of the fact everything here is more expensive.

Definitely worth getting a good set.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Snow tires are great. When everybody else is hunkering down when the snow starts to fly or white knuckling the steering wheel driving 10 mph you can go out and drive with confidence. Last set of snow tires were the Pirelli Sottozero II which I retired last season. They were a performance snow tire and felt kind of "sporty" even when the roads were dry which is what the idea is with a slight tradeoff in snow/ice traction. I think a performance snow tire is probably the best for the Midwest, however I picked up a set of these Xi2 Michelins because they were on a mega closeout sale during the best time to buy snow tires in June/July ;). These are a studless snow tire so they will work even better on snow/ice than the Pirelli's however they are going to feel "squishy/squirmy" when on dry road and not inspire as much zoom zoom driving. Will be interesting to compare and feel the difference between the two types of snow tires. Hopefully we get a lot of snow this year :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Snow tires are great. When everybody else is hunkering down when the snow starts to fly or white knuckling the steering wheel driving 10 mph you can go out and drive with confidence. Last set of snow tires were the Pirelli Sottozero II which I retired last season. They were a performance snow tire and felt kind of "sporty" even when the roads were dry which is what the idea is with a slight tradeoff in snow/ice traction. I think a performance snow tire is probably the best for the Midwest, however I picked up a set of these Xi2 Michelins because they were on a mega closeout sale during the best time to buy snow tires in June/July ;). These are a studless snow tire so they will work even better on snow/ice than the Pirelli's however they are going to feel "squishy/squirmy" when on dry road and not inspire as much zoom zoom driving. Will be interesting to compare and feel the difference between the two types of snow tires. Hopefully we get a lot of snow this year :D

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about a squirmy feeling... remember I used to drive a Jeep on 40x16-17 tires on 17x9.5" wheels and no sway bars... :chuckles:

I'll probably swap between my all seasons and whatever snow tires I get every week or two depending on what the forecast calls for.

I'm pretty heavily leaning toward getting 15x6.5 steel wheels from Tirerack with some Continental ProWinterContact tires in 195/65R15 mounted to them. The cost of 15" tires is about $75/ea vs 16 and 17" sizes being $100/ea. Even buying a set of 16" steel wheels on Craigslist for $100(to save $100 buying the 4 new 15" steel wheels from tire rack)... I'd still pay the same overall after I pay for mounting and balancing.

I'm looking at $580 after all shipping and everything ordering the wheel+tire set from Tirerack through work with a bit of a discount for the 15" set. Will be pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
True, you have a Jeep background so a little extra tread squirm on dry road is no big deal lol. $580 out the door is a phenomenal value for wheels/tires. If I didn't already have some extra 16" wheels, I would've gone the 15" route as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well made the decision last night and traded in my MZ3 for a 2... which will slowly get prepped throughout the season for autocross.

I'm planning on doing a test and tune event with the Cincy SCCA on April 5th to see how this car does stock... then the plan is motor mounts(this car needs aftermarket ones something badly), rear bar, coilovers, then wheels+tires. Somewhere in there a cat-back and Dynotronics tune as well. I'll be reluctant to do a header since it's my DD.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've often thought about doing the same thing, but never driven a 2. How does it compare to your 3? Does it feel "cheaper" at all? I'm sure it's a fun car, being so light.

Well made the decision last night and traded in my MZ3 for a 2... which will slowly get prepped throughout the season for autocross.

I'm planning on doing a test and tune event with the Cincy SCCA on April 5th to see how this car does stock... then the plan is motor mounts(this car needs aftermarket ones something badly), rear bar, coilovers, then wheels+tires. Somewhere in there a cat-back and Dynotronics tune as well. I'll be reluctant to do a header since it's my DD.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I've often thought about doing the same thing, but never driven a 2. How does it compare to your 3? Does it feel "cheaper" at all? I'm sure it's a fun car, being so light.
Its basically a clown car. A ridiculously fun to drive clown car.:grin:

It feels very minimalistic(mine has no cruise, no center console arm rest), but a very high quality and solid interior, just like the 3 IMO.

The steering feels amazing, you get feedback a lot more than the 3, though the steering is lighter.

It is slow, the 1-2 shift is disappointing if you're trying to go full speed ahead due to the rpm drop and low redline(6000). An ECU tune will help that some in the future. I don't find it a problem daily driving when you're not full throttle everywhere.

Handling is where it shines. This is the only FWD car I've ever driven that scared me on the street... the damn thing oversteered on me when I was hot dogging around a corner. DSC kicked in and actually worked well to keep from spinning.

Braking: again holy shit this little car can stop something ridiculous. My Mazda3 could stop pretty well, but it didn't wow me at high speeds(remember I had the "I" sedan with small rotors). This car is pretty impressive stopping. When it comes time to do brakes I'll just get all OEM parts for it. Pedal feel is excellent.

As for the back seat, not for tall people(say 5'11 and up) or for seating 3 adults back there(not enough side to side room). Works great for a car seat and a little one in the center. Its actually easier to get my son in/out of this than my 3 sedan.

I only ever really have my wife and kid with me, and normally its in the Ford Fusion, this car is seldom used for all of us, I need a back seat for the occasion that I need to get my son from daycare or drop him off.

Front seats are really very similar to the 3. Great bolstering.

Clutch pedal is very light. Little weird to get used to but I'm getting there. Biggest thing is its so damn quiet, so its hard to rev match and take off initially.

Not having cruise is a bit of a bummer, but the 2 throttle pedal/leg positioning/area of the console that I rest my leg against is nicer than the 3 so my foot doesn't get fatigued like in the 3(in the 3 I HAD to drive with my thumbs everywhere if speed was constant for more than 15 seconds).

If there is anything else you want to know about just ask.

On a side note if you see an 09 3i burgundy with yellow fogs at Carmax, its got a filled OEM motor mount and is ready for a dynotronics tune if you PM me. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
but it's stock now right?
Yeah, but if someone gets it they just have to contact me and we can reflash it with the DT tune. The motor mount I have no idea if it was caught during their inspection process or not. Looks like they replaced the two bald tires I sold it to them with.

It probably still has the HPS pads, they were in good shape and should have passed their inspection.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Here's my Mazda3-1 liftin' a leg

It's fun in case anyone was wondering. :chuckles:

I feel the 3 was faster stock for stock, but this little car has some potential. Still posting here just because I like this forum and all 7 people that post on it.

:cheesy:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts