Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 160,000 miles and 8 years of ownership, I am starting to think about selling the speed and buying a 2015 focus rs and installing the mountune package.

Current list of issues with the speed:
(living in floriduh so the first three are big)
Compressor does not work all of the time (75%--rest of time it blows warm and there seems to be no pattern). Probably need a new compressor and that job can be a bitch if the condensor also needs replacing.

Blower motor stops working after an hour or two of highway driving (again, no pattern...and it starts working on it's own for no apparent reason either).

Cabin air filter needs to be changed.

Front window washer pump needs to be checked/replaced. Wipers work but no cleaner comes out, and you cannot hear the pump running.

Broken rear wiper arm.

Right rear door handle is very loose...waiting for it to fail.

Driver's floor carpet completely shot.

White smoke issue when the car is in cold weather--can get really bad.

Needs new shocks, struts, anti sway bars and links...basically everything suspension related needs to be changed out.

Wing needs to be repainted or wrapped. Lots of little nicks in the paint, normal for this many miles I am sure--but the wing suffered under the florida sun.

Passenger window does not go down when it is hot out.

I am estimating 3000 to get all of this fixed, and I will still have the engine issues to take care of in the near future (how much longer can the turbo last, really?).

I have done a ton of mods to the car, which I think offset the problems and a savvy buyer will think it is a steal for 7000 bucks. But if I put 3000 into it it is still a 7,000$ car.

A dealer would sell it for 7k as well, but would only give me 4k for it--not gonna go there!

So, the question is...do I put all the work and money into the car and drive it for another 3 years (hopefully the new speed is out by then), or do I cut my losses, sell it as-is and buy the new focus ST? What would you do?

UPDATE. Ordered a new Focus ST. Found out that IF I put the Steeda parts in it that I want the total cost of the car + Parts is damn near equal to a 1ss Camaro.
This makes me sad...and want to fix my car more than ever.

Does anyone know of a good repair shop down in south florida that can do engine rebuilds, upgrades and tunes?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have 116000 on mine and think of the same dilemma when stuff comes up. Then I think that a small repair bill even if it is high is better than a 5/6 yr loan on 25-30 k car. Especially considering the average transaction price for a new car is 30k

Usually you always come out ahead on maintanence repairs over a new car. Now if the engine died or is dying then it would be a different story. The white smoke by the way may be a recall issue I think the speeds had

·
Registered
568 Posts
3K = A year of car payments or less, on average. Expect another 3K maintenance for the turbo and clutch (if still running K04). DMF alone is over a grand, should you want to retain the DD appeal. Still, that's a drop in the bucket compared to brand new + markup + taxes + financing + insurance.

That said, if you can afford a 36K RS, go for it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Blowing warm air sometimes could also be your thermostat.

My thermostat went out and I would get warm air off and on.

The white smoke in the winter could just be condensed water. If it was the turbo seals then you would see it year round and not just in the winter.

I noticed with my speed I get a lot of white smoke in the winter that is just condensed water.

So possibly just need to fix the thermostat and the white smoke could be nothing.

If you got the budget for a new ride go for it.

But if not then look to fix it. You would save a chunk fixing these issues rather than investing in a new ride.

If your ride is paid off I would look to fix the issues and get 3 more years out of it or more. Give it some time for the new speed to pop up :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to go the fixit route...
New Cobb Suspension stuff coming...then gonna look at a new turbo. My NEW mechanic ONLY does Bullseye turbo installs, says anything but the absolute best is a waste of time and money. But they DID say my A/C problem is just an O ring. Huge relief.

Will talk with the cobb and corksport guys and find an authorized installer locally for a cheaper turbo...no way am I gonna fork over 4k for a turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Good stuff my man

Some of the smaller issues can be weekend projects spread out to save cash like...

-Rear wiper arm you could delete. Their is a kit out their I think. Or just fix it.

-Front window wash pump prob not hard to replace.

-Rear door handle could pull inside molding off and tighten. Handle assembly might need to be replaced.

You get the point.

A lot of issues can be fixed for cheap yourself.

We are on a budget right now. Looking to trade the Wife's 98 civic eventually. But got to wait. Just saved a 1000 bucks rebuilding the oil pump and replacing the timing belt myself. Oil pump o ring was leaking. 2 dollar part for almost 1000 bucks labor...crazy.

Next is the my speeds suspension. Need to do front and back.

Good news already. All the best on the fix's ahead.

All goes well you are saving a bunch fixing instead of going new.

Yup shop around on the turbo. Got some choices out their.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Before my current Mazda, I had a 90s Toyota which was 14 years old by the time I traded it away. The last couple years of that car were trash, something going wrong every six months. Spent more money on repairs in aggregate in the last 2 years than I got in trade - on top of the aggravation. As a result, my mindset with my current Mazda is to dump it upon the repair needs starting to emerge frequently. Hopefully that's years away, as at present all the major systems are A-OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff my man

Some of the smaller issues can be weekend projects spread out to save cash like...

-Rear wiper arm you could delete. Their is a kit out their I think. Or just fix it.

-Front window wash pump prob not hard to replace.

-Rear door handle could pull inside molding off and tighten. Handle assembly might need to be replaced.

You get the point.

A lot of issues can be fixed for cheap yourself.

We are on a budget right now. Looking to trade the Wife's 98 civic eventually. But got to wait. Just saved a 1000 bucks rebuilding the oil pump and replacing the timing belt myself. Oil pump o ring was leaking. 2 dollar part for almost 1000 bucks labor...crazy.

Next is the my speeds suspension. Need to do front and back.

Good news already. All the best on the fix's ahead.

All goes well you are saving a bunch fixing instead of going new.

Yup shop around on the turbo. Got some choices out their.
I ordered a bunch of suspension parts from CorkSport, from the crazy quote I got from my local shop--they did not have the rear camber or rear toe arms included. Wondering why...and if it is really worth the 500 bucks to buy them and get them installed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
How you looking?

That is a good question. I am not sure.

Have never had to replace those parts for issues or wear.

Could save a little cash if they don't need to be replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts