·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never waxed my car before. This is what I'm planning to do:

1. Meguiar's Clay Bar
2. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
3. Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax

Do you think that will be enough? I plan to do the spray wax once a week.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=andreSF link=topic=72158.msg1270765#msg1270765 date=1174028452]
So I've never waxed my car before. This is what I'm planning to do:

1. Meguiar's Clay Bar
2. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
3. Meguiar's NXT Spray Wax

Do you think that will be enough? I plan to do the spray wax once a week.
[/quote]

Couple suggestions: Drop the spray wax and pick up NXT paste or liquid wax. Spray waxes are really just "booster" applications. Most use them after washing their cars when they don't want/need to do an all out wax. They do not replace a real "wax job". Also, on the cleaner wax, instead use Meg's Deep Crystal #1 Paint Cleaner or Meg's DC #2 Paint Polish. These will be more effective than the cleaner wax.

If you want more info, check out the "Ask a Detailer" thread that's stickied at the top of this section (Maintenance & Care). Right now there are 53 pages of discussion but if you started at page 45 or so, I'm sure you could find some good information pretty quickly.

Take some before & after pics and post them here if you can. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
+1 on the wax suggestion. I for some reason didnt see the spray part of your post. I use the liquid NXT myself it is easy to use and comes off without the white residue.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=No Clue link=topic=72158.msg1271113#msg1271113 date=1174055811]
I use the liquid NXT myself it is easy to use and comes off without the white residue.
[/quote]

The liquid NXT seems to be the more popular of the two (liquid vs. paste). There's a poll on MeguiarsOnline.com to prove it :).

·
Registered
782 Posts
If this is a new car, why would you need to use a clay bar on it? The Cleaner wax should be enough to remove what limited residue there might be on the paint.

G

·
I get stuff on my new truck all the time that wax doesn't take off. It's either airborne paint or tree sap, I haven't figured it out yet. After a wash and wax, I can still feel little specks of something on my paint, and clay is the only thing that will remove them. A brand new car may have spent a lot of time sitting outside before it was purchased. His paint may be loaded with crap that wax won't touch.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=kendalf link=topic=72158.msg1271217#msg1271217 date=1174058350]
If this is a new car, why would you need to use a clay bar on it? The Cleaner wax should be enough to remove what limited residue there might be on the paint.
[/quote]

You might be surprised how much has embedded itself into fresh new (soft) paint. Most cars are shipped via train so those vehicles will have rail dust all over the car. Plus, general fallout from factories, and other contaminants that are in the are bond to the cars during shipping. Claying a new car is just as important as claying an older car. It's necessary either way because for the best end results, you want a contaminant free paint surface. Cleaner/wax doesn't replace claying because it can't pull those contaminants out of the paint like a clay bar can.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
For a $40 budget I suggest:

1. Mother's Clay kit
2. Mother's sealer/glaze instead of a cleaner wax
3. Then as your top coat you can use Meguiars NXT liquid wax.

Yes it's ok to mix and use this combo, i've done it on my car with great results before I switched to Menzerna, Zaino, Blackfire and P21S.

The reason for my choices is because I've bought meguiars smooth clay kit (twice) and although it works, the white clay just doesn't seem like it's as easy to use as the yellow mother's clay (i've bought 3 times). I suppose if you want to pay $23-25 for meguiars mild clay bulk, then that's another good option. (You get twice as much, but no detail spray)

BTW, Don't use soapy water unless you want your clay to deteriorate, use detail spray.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I know that Bookeem gave me this as a guide....
1:Wash
2:Claybar
3:And some may disagree with this but I rewash the car to make sure all the crap that was loosened by the claybar gets off the car.
4:NXT wax
5:2 coats of a good grade Carnuba wax
Heres the deal basically if your car has no wax the sun will start to damage the paint very quickly. If you apply wax then the sun damages the wax. It is a sacrificial layer. I hope this helps a little. These are exactly what I do to my car and Im mister anal retentive.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would definitely use a paint sealant, no extra hassle than wax to apply, but lasts months longer. Also, meguiar's isn't the best brand of claybar, Sonus makes some good ones, and the mother's kit was quite good too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=No Clue link=topic=72158.msg1271740#msg1271740 date=1174072848]
3:And some may disagree with this but I rewash the car to make sure all the crap that was loosened by the claybar gets off the car.
Heres the deal basically if your car has no wax the sun will start to damage the paint very quickly. If you apply wax then the sun damages the wax. It is a sacrificial layer. I hope this helps a little. These are exactly what I do to my car and Im mister anal retentive.
[/quote]
LOL :lol: My goodness..YOU must NOT have much to do with your time.
BEST advice, Just wax the freakin thing a couple times a year. It will look fine.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Yeah your right nothing better to do than make sure my car is protected from the elements.I work a full time job 50 hours a week plus support a family and yes I still find time 4 times a year to do this so dont be a pansy. And yes maybe if you wax a couple of times a year it will look ok for a while but 5 years down the road the paint will be failing and you will cry because you didnt do things right
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=72158.msg1272406#msg1272406 date=1174095433]
[quote author=No Clue link=topic=72158.msg1271740#msg1271740 date=1174072848]
[/quote]
LOL :lol: My goodness..YOU must NOT have much to do with your time.
BEST advice, Just wax the freakin thing a couple times a year. It will look fine.
[/quote]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rest assured 5 years from now my or anyones car that is waxed 2 times a year or so WILL look just fine. Its amazing how some people think you need to spend a ridiculous amount of time on "car paint maintenence". Its just nonsense. A simple wax job will protect just fine. Ive seen "my" and others that simply use nufinish or other inexspensive "polishes not even waxes" and thier vehicles look just as good as the others driving down the road now and "5 years from now".

·
Registered
131 Posts
if $2 turtle wax does it for you buy it, especially if you can not tell the difference, but i can. I like to take pride in having a constantly shiny car. Also, i live a couple blocks from the ocean and am constantly getting ocean spray on the car, and in santa cruz, cars go rusty all the time. I love the mazda3, but hey, it's not exactly a premium paint job. So, a little more effort seems to go a long way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=72158.msg1272892#msg1272892 date=1174137750]
No clue, don't worry about alecshawn. His eyes have failed him long ago. All the time he's saved by not detailing his car he spends it being pissed off at other people who do have a life :p

[/quote]
The children are back.....This guy REALLY has no life. :? He waxes his car weekly. The funny thing is NO ONE gives a hoot.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=72158.msg1273031#msg1273031 date=1174148021]
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=72158.msg1272892#msg1272892 date=1174137750]
No clue, don't worry about alecshawn. His eyes have failed him long ago. All the time he's saved by not detailing his car he spends it being pissed off at other people who do have a life :p

[/quote]
The children are back.....This guy REALLY has no life. :? He waxes his car weekly. The funny thing is NO ONE gives a hoot.
[/quote]
What no one gives a ‘hoot’ about is you and your opinion! I read through threads and I often find your annoying condescending comments always wanting to start issues with other members . . . I understand constructive criticism but that’s not what you offer! I really do not see the point, if your time is so valuable since you so often criticize people for how they use theirs why do you even come on this forum and why do you take the time to post at all . . . do us all a favor get some therapy and address those issues you have and then come back here when you have something positive to offer!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Its all good... Nothing I can say could make this guy look any worse than he has done himself. Thanks for the support. I know I do things right when it comes to making sure my car is taken care of..... Clue

1 - 20 of 33 Posts