Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im driving to the snow for the first time tommorow (new driver :])
any suggestions on how to drive, any tips, anything i should take along (chains not required), and any prep to do on my car (iduno)

thanks

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
The two biggest things I can tell you are:

1) Reduce your speed.
2) Increase your distance between vehicles, and allow yourself a lot of time to stop.

Best thing to do to get a handle on driving in bad weather/snow is to take the car to an empty parking lot, and just fool around. Slam on the gas, slam on the brake.... get a feel for the car and how it reacts in the snow.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
and if you got stock tires, BE CAREFUL!

stock tires have been really known to just suck in the rain and snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
[quote author=ebhcr link=topic=69210.msg1200452#msg1200452 date=1171180994]
Going to Wrightwood or Big Bear by any chance? It just started raining tonight, so that means snow! :D
[/quote]

NO, that means snow ON TOP of ice! Even worse :D
My reconmondations? Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires. :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=69210.msg1200455#msg1200455 date=1171182464]
[quote author=ebhcr link=topic=69210.msg1200452#msg1200452 date=1171180994]
Going to Wrightwood or Big Bear by any chance? It just started raining tonight, so that means snow! :D
[/quote]

NO, that means snow ON TOP of ice! Even worse :D
[/quote]

Meh, tires for one trip? Chains FTW!

·
Registered
892 Posts
[quote author=EvilDeadFan link=topic=69210.msg1200455#msg1200455 date=1171182464]
[/quote]

I have these, they work great. Of course I drive on snow fairly often so they are worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Like everyone said, drive slower, and allow yourself more distance to stop. Also, take turns much slower, and be especially aware of your surroundings -- other cars around you (who may not be able to stop at an intersection you're going through, for example). It pays to keep an eye on the road itself too, to see if you're in deep snow, hard-packed snow, ice, or ruts created by other drivers. Snow tires help, but don't let them give you a false sense of security (just like 4-wheel drive).

Practicing is a great idea. Driving in snow is really a completely different task than driving on dry pavement...you quickly learn that a car had completely different handling characteristics in snow.

·
Registered
892 Posts
^ Amen

+1

·
Registered
175 Posts
Snow tires seem like you are invincible when compared to the RS-A's (Running Kumho KW17 on my ride -- such a difference!)... seriously though, just be careful out there.. Dont gas it or anything, you'll be sideways..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a heck of a time getting home in the snow today--little control and even less traction. Any suggestions for snow tires would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I've had good experience in the past with blizzaks. I've seen a few people on here give really good reviews of the dunlop m3's

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Today was my first time driving my new girl in the snow... boy was that a wild ride.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed with all the spinning of wheels and the constant yellow flashing of the little icon on the dash (you know what I mean... the one with the car zigzagging). It ranks up there with my old '97 Saturn. But then again, I attribute it to the fact that I have yet to invest in snow tires.

There is always next winter. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not go due to bad weather, but if all goes well I will go this weekend instead.
Snow tires are out of the question...simply because I am 16 and have no funds for it, and on top of that, I dont live in a snowy area and im not going to change my tires every time I go... (and its just not worth it)

Thanks for the suggestions I will drive super carefully...take more time to stop, and watch out for other cars that may not stop at intersections...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got over 20 inches here. -2F, no traffic, hard packed snow whole way and no salted slush yet. Only problem was hitting drifts and snow coming into windshield. The 3 w/ snow tires, gotta love it. Took me exact same time as when roads are dry.

The guy at work with a new 3 who said "I dont need snow tires" changed his mind today. You can guess what stock tires and lots of snow equal...new seats.

Been trying to have him buy my two 17" Continental performance winter tires I used last year to 'get by' the first winter. Only 2000mi for $100, thats a deal, now he bites...

Gave up all dry road performance and went with four mounted 16" Dunlop Graspic DS-2's this year. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Graspic+DS-2

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=69210.msg1207491#msg1207491 date=1171480885]
Today was my first time driving my new girl in the snow... boy was that a wild ride.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed with all the spinning of wheels and the constant yellow flashing of the little icon on the dash (you know what I mean... the one with the car zigzagging). It ranks up there with my old '97 Saturn. But then again, I attribute it to the fact that I have yet to invest in snow tires.

There is always next winter. :D
[/quote]

Wow, ya know, this is the first time I knew they started putting TCS on 3's? I was so confused as to how you had it, since it'd never been on them before.

Anyway, if you were driving yesterday in Southbury, you were nuts... a layer of ice will make TCS go crazy, yes ;) Doesn't matter what tires you had on.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Hahah, yes... it was NUTS. About 5 minutes after I left the house I was wishing I had stayed in! Unfortunately work wouldn't have been to happy with me if I called out. >_<

1 - 19 of 19 Posts