Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got my tranny fluid flushed for the first time on my '06 Mazda 3 ATX. The car has 30K miles on it and the mechanic said the fluid was much, much darker than it should be given the number of miles I have on the car. He recommended I get in touch with Mazda to have them yank the tranny apart to see whats wrong with it.

My question is, should the fluid normally that dark or is the mechanic over-reacting ?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
It's very common for the ATX tranny fluid to look pretty nasty after not too many miles. Lots of people have noticed this and been concerned, but I've yet to see anyone experiencing major problems with an ATX, so you're probably fine.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
yeah, mine was very dark (I flushed it at ~30k too).
i've had no issues at all.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=139333.msg3002661#msg3002661 date=1237413064]
yeah, mine was very dark (I flushed it at ~30k too).
i've had no issues at all.
[/quote]

+1. My first flush was at 15k, then again at 35k. I put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in at the 15k flush, and by 35k it was already nasty looking. These transmissions are pretty hard on fluid, so keep up on the changes. 20k between changes is about all the longer interval I'm willing to go.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The smell of used ATF is more indicative of its condition than its colour is. As long as it did not smell burnt, then you should be fine. Almost everyone on this forum who has drained their ATF has noticed that it was dark/almost black.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts