Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a 07 S Grand Touring (manual) by Summer.

This will be my first manual car. I've rode a motorcycle (GSXR) for many years and was just looking for some input on the similarities/differences between manual on a bike compared to a car.

Will I have a rough time transitioning???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31,080 Posts
the theory around shifting is the same, as far as gradual engagement of the clutch, and the use of the gears both up and down, however motorcycle is prolly easier just because you'd naturally have more fine motor coordination in your hand than your leg, and i've never seen the bronco on a bike (not for long anyways :p ) that being said, most people can earn in a day unless the instructor sucks or they are challenged in some way.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
No. Its not the same thing. The car has 4 wheels, and the bike only has 2 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :dur: :dur: :dur: :dur: :dur: :dur:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=72325.msg1274979#msg1274979 date=1174259615]
the theory around shifting is the same, as far as gradual engagement of the clutch, and the use of the gears both up and down, however motorcycle is prolly easier just because you'd naturally have more fine motor coordination in your hand than your leg, and i've never seen the bronco on a bike (not for long anyways :p ) that being said, most people can earn in a day unless the instructor sucks or they are challenged in some way.
[/quote]

Troof Hand > Foot cordination

+1

·
Registered
305 Posts
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=72325.msg1274979#msg1274979 date=1174259615]
[/quote]

+1

It'll take about a day for you to get use to the clutch, MC is easier due to hand.

But many of the skills you learned on a MC will put you far ahead compared to non-MC drivers.

Just don't lean into corners, and no pegs to scrape :p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had ok.. somewhat shabby grasp of using a clutch before buying my car. I test drove a manual car specifically because I wanted to see how hard or easy it would be to just pick up on their demo car, even with the pressure of the salesguy watching during the ride. Simple statement.

It is the easiest clutch I have ever driven, and I have driven thousands of cars while working for a ford/lincoln/mercury dealership that also seviced Kias from a neighboring kia dealer that was owned by the same. I've driven a lot of clutches, but none as easy as the mazda 3. New, limping it into the shop to be replaced soon after.. etc.

Go try one, see how you do. Then you'll know if you'll need a lesson first. My previous record had been.. stall, light, stall, light, light, light, stall... I've yet to stall my mazda 3. 9 months later!

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
You also have a helical gear trans instead of dog gear...so you are going to have to clutch in at every shift. Other then that the rest is the same.

Oh yeah, hand > foot for coordination. It doubt it will take you more then a day or two to get the basics down fine. Might take a couple of months of driving to be able to do it in your sleep. Logically it is very similar, but the muscle memory is totally different (shift with hand, clutch with foot instead of clutch with hand shift with foot).
-Matt

·
Registered
822 Posts
I rode some dirt bikes before I got my first car with a stick and just understanding how the clutch engages really helped. I only stalled a couple times the first day and then I had the hang of it, so go for the stick, you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the input.

Ever since I sold the bike, I've been longing for some fun while driving. I'll be trading in a 1999 civic EX coupe auto. The 3 will complement our Murano pretty well. Though the CVT tranny is smooth and quiet, you lose the feeling of power from the V6 and decreases the fun factor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts