Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Imagine that, only ten times worse. I ran summer tires only on my other car in the winter and they were still better than the RS-A's. No joke you'd be better off on 4 spare donuts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
well when I got my 05 the first winter, some light snow in urban areas well salted and plowed . ok, it was passable. The first time the temp really drops and snow at the same time, or roads not immediatedly plowed forget it. The rsas turn to into a hard plastic like a hot wheel car . It was one of the scariest drives I have ever made In upstate ny, where it actually snows for real, i had a few hundred miles to go. the car doesnt respond to turning of wheel even at slow speeds, losing traction at any speed or want to brake and you could easily lose control of the vehicle. The first thing I did when I got home was put on four snows on the stock rims. snow tech 205/5017 by viking. world of difference. I got caught in a storm near boston last winter and even in horrible road conditions, the car was literally bouncing on unplowed snow, i felt pretty secure i had grip. I could steer brake and the car never spun out from a stop at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dunno, I've woken up to 1-2" of snow on the roads a couple of times, I didn't have a problem driving in it, are the tires good? Meh...not really, are they horrible.....I don't think so. I'll probably get snow tires next year, but if you're a cautious driver, and you can "feel" your car when you drive, you'll be fine.

Now, if you have to drive up hill on twisty roads for 30 miles.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
there bad but not unbearable, you just have to drive slow , really slow. Ive driven r-sa's on another car and they didn't seem this bad, is it the low profile that is causing this (this was a 99 lumina ltz) with regular profiles.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
There wasn't enough snow to be a threat to the RSA's. By 6am, the dusting was not an issue. You'll get by this winter on the RSA's considering its half over and we haven't gotten an inch of snow yet in NJ.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did have any problems last winter and we had a couple of decent snow falls.
I think it has to do with your driving style.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eh, they're OK if you need to go in a straight line. I didn't have any problems on the straight, flat areas of I-80 in Nebraska in mediocre weather (a few hours after a major storm, Interstate plowed, some ice/snow still on it, shoulders completely ice/snow covered).

That being said, the tires' performance here in the most recent snow storm (still occurring) is atrocious at best. You have to start out painfully slow and take corners even slower. Trying to take a corner, I slid into a damn curb going < 10 mph on 1/2" of snow. :bash: That, along with another couple of near misses has forced me to leave the car in the garage until the streets are clear. As an aside, my old '91 MX-6 used to handle the snow and ice much better than my '07 3 hatch w/ stability control...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the tires don't perform too well on perfect roads to begin with. Too much slippage off the line and even between shifts. They definitely don't perform as well as their cost would indicate (~$200 per tire). I'm kind of glad a city plow pulled up a chunk of concrete for my left rear sidewall to find... Now I have to seriously consider putting serious tires on my car. Kumho ECSTA ASXs and Avon Tech M550 A/S tires are at the top of my list right now...

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=tagh2000 link=topic=67266.msg1157716#msg1157716 date=1169225371]
there bad but not unbearable, you just have to drive slow , really slow. Ive driven r-sa's on another car and they didn't seem this bad, is it the low profile that is causing this (this was a 99 lumina ltz) with regular profiles.
[/quote]

The tread design on the H-rated RS-As is a little better in winter. The Lumina probably had those. They have to make the V-rated ones more like a summer tire to be able to handle high speeds that our cars aren't capable of. I've driven on all-seasons that are acceptable for winter use, but I don't consider the V-rated RS-As to be in that category. In terms of snow performance, they are the worst all-seasons I've ever driven on.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My RSA's were new (maybe 5,000 miles) last winter and I struggled with snow more than I ever had before. My old P5's dunlops were better, and even on a lighter car. Last winter I got stuck going up a small hill in SLUSH, which I had plenty of momentum for, and had to leave the car until morning.

We got about an inch of show and sleet last night in Baltimore and, once again, in about a half inch of slush, the car had no feel at all. The ABS cut on with a tap of the brakes. And yes, I was driving very slow and smooth. I have 32,000 miles (mostly highway, but a decent amount of joyriding in the country) on them now, and about 4/16 of tread left on them. I believe they started with either 10/16 or 12/16 so I was hoping to get through the winter and maximize the life of them.

After last night I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Khumo ECSTA ASX.

·
Registered
417 Posts
BAD,BAD,BAD.......Nothing to do with driving style at all. Just poor, poor tires in any other weather but warm summer driving. Doesn't matter how slow you go......bad traction. Bought my car brand new with only 12 miles on it...December 2006, drove it through a few snow storms and you really take your life in your hands. I am ultra conservative when it comes to winter driving because I've always lived in lake effect snow areas....I'm used to driving in winter conditions. When I bought this car the first time out with it in a snowstorm scared me to death. Finally this summer I replaced them even though there was lots of tread left on them. I was not going to go through another winter on those POS tires and risk my life and others!!!!!!!!! Goodyear should be ashamed to claim these are all weather tires!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=sunsilver615 link=topic=67266.msg1156066#msg1156066 date=1169144338]
My M3s has 10,500miles and has never seen snow, with an inch forcast in Nj for tonight
how bad are the RSA,s.
They stink already and lose traction/hop when it is dry.
[/quote]

that's just the nature of our car. my wheels still wheel hop with a drop, 18s, motor mount, and better tires.

the stock tires suck for performance driving. we all know that. as far as weather is concerned, if you're getting mad because the stock tires slip in ice, loose a bit of grip in the wet, and push a bit when you're hard through the corners you need to take a step back and realize what you're driving.

this is a sub $20k with less than 150whp and tq. wtf do you want out of a stock tire put on an econobox? hell, the 205/50 should tell you already that the tire is going to roll in a turn. everyone is so quick to complain about their tires. if they are so bad, cough up the money and get something better. if you can't do that, then enjoy the 20k or so miles they last and TAKE IT EASY.

sunsilver615, this is just not a shot at you btw.

·
Registered
479 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=67266.msg1163089#msg1163089 date=1169508170]
[quote author=sunsilver615 link=topic=67266.msg1156066#msg1156066 date=1169144338]
My M3s has 10,500miles and has never seen snow, with an inch forcast in Nj for tonight
how bad are the RSA,s.
They stink already and lose traction/hop when it is dry.
[/quote]

that's just the nature of our car. my wheels still wheel hop with a drop, 18s, motor mount, and better tires.

the stock tires suck for performance driving. we all know that. as far as weather is concerned, if you're getting mad because the stock tires slip in ice, loose a bit of grip in the wet, and push a bit when you're hard through the corners you need to take a step back and realize what you're driving.

this is a sub $20k with less than 150whp and tq. wtf do you want out of a stock tire put on an econobox? hell, the 205/50 should tell you already that the tire is going to roll in a turn. everyone is so quick to complain about their tires. if they are so bad, cough up the money and get something better. if you can't do that, then enjoy the 20k or so miles they last and TAKE IT EASY.

sunsilver615, this is just not a shot at you btw.
[/quote]

You seem to be missing the point. This thread isn't about the tire rolling in corners when pushed hard, it's about it's ability as an "all-season" tire in the snow. For an all-season tire that is close to $200 a piece, they GREATLY underperform. All tires slip on snow/ice, loose a little traction in rain, etc. But the RSA's are a horrible tire in the all-season context, and should never have been put on a car that is sold anywhere that consistently experiences inclement weather. There isn't the option to get a better all-season tire from the factory if you will be driving in areas that experience more winter weather.

When you drop 18-22K for a car, you should not be required to turn around and spend another $500 minimum to be safe, especially when the tires are advertised as all-season yet do not perform up to an all-season standard. It's a poor tire and a poor move that Mazda chose to equip the majority of their cars with them.

The type of car, "econobox" or benz, is irrelevant to this argument so I'm not sure why you brought it up. You could put these tires on a Hundai or a BWM with the same disappointing results.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
no, i've got the point. you can cry all you want but what are you going to do about it?

i live in tx and we had ice for 2 days this year and may have it another 2 days in february. so should i complain that im stuck with all-seasons when i can run a summer tire 99% of the year?

they put the tires on the car that will work in all climates and parts of the country. if they dont work for you then get new tires or dont buy the car. simple as that. hahaha.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I drove back from Virginia in the ice last night and I made it without incident. The car was a bit twitchy, but I was able to drive the same speed as everyone else. The ABS only came on once and that was at the end of my unplowed street. That's also with no tread left! However, I decided it was finally time to pull the trigger and ordered some Exaltos from tirerack. Overall, I think the RSAs were pretty solid in dry and wet conditions (for the first 30K miles), but definitely below average for snow. Should be fun having sticky tires again. I can't wait to hit the onramps at 75 MPH like when my car was new :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=67266.msg1163639#msg1163639 date=1169522828]
no, i've got the point. you can cry all you want but what are you going to do about it?

i live in tx and we had ice for 2 days this year and may have it another 2 days in february. so should i complain that im stuck with all-seasons when i can run a summer tire 99% of the year?

they put the tires on the car that will work in all climates and parts of the country. if they dont work for you then get new tires or dont buy the car. simple as that. hahaha.
[/quote]

Some people just have lower expectations than others, I guess. That's fine.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
lol ok. you dont seem to understand global markets and product placement.

mazda wasn't thinking about just you when they put tires on the car. they picked the best tire that would meet the needs of the masses. you may have a problem with the tire, whereas other people have no problems at all.

nobody forced you to buy the 3. you did that on your own accord. the rs-a's come stock on many cars. it IS a good stock tire to meet the needs of the masses. obviously it wasn't a big enough issue to keep you from buying the car or cause you to sell the car after you were dissapointed by it's lack luster performance. so again i say, you can cry about it or you can do something to get rid of them. either way, you're not going to be happy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts