Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at 1750 miles. I will be getting my first service sometime this coming week. say around 2000 miles.
Did anyone else get their's done yet ??? - how many miles ?

thanks

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
complimentary inspection was at 1k, first oil change was recomended at 3500 I think. if you goto the mazda owners section of the mazda site, I think it shows service intervals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did mine myself at around 950 miles. It was a treat! Luckily I had all the specialty tools needed. :p

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Most dealers will tell you at 1000 for the first change, just to get the metal shaving out of the engine

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was thinking of changing by oil every 3k with full synthetic and changing filter every 6k. The filter is like 6+bucks and it looked perfect at the 2k change. No metal or debris that I could see. I think it kind of a waste to change with the filter every 3k. I though about just going 5k since it is full synthetic but the oil is blacker than hell and stinky after 2k miles. I am sure its still in good shape but most NA cars the oil looks nice up to 4-5k miles. I think the ultra rich mixture is polluting the oil quickly with that gas smell, also my rear bumper :(. Oh, and on topic I changed my first at 2k myself. I was gonna go 3k but the oil was so black. It was christmas weekend and the dealer was closed, otherwise I'd just let them do it. FTW.

·
Registered
228 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=66260.msg1137081#msg1137081 date=1168177986]
I think I am going to get mine done before I hit 2k.
the manual says 3500.

[/quote]

pretty sure the manual says 5k if you drive in bad conditions, 7.5k otherwise - which seems like a lot

MyMazda.com i believe says 7k

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
thats what i have.....my dealer told me 6months or 5k.....
new car now a day doesnt need to change oil every 3k anymore
my 99 toyota tacoma is the same oil change 5k.....work truck
my aunt new toyota camry 2007 also oil change 5k.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=66260.msg1137558#msg1137558 date=1168202125]
thats what i have.....my dealer told me 6months or 5k.....
new car now a day doesnt need to change oil every 3k anymore
my 99 toyota tacoma is the same oil change 5k.....work truck
my aunt new toyota camry 2007 also oil change 5k.....

[/quote]

Those Toyota's don't have turbo charged direct injection engines. I'm sure you can make it 5k with our cars, but it should be a full synthetic oil. I wouldn't want to attempt 7k though. From previous experience with 6 turbo cars, I will be changing mine every 3k with synthetic. The direct injection will contibute to polluting the oil faster also. If you go 5k, let me suggest keeping an eye on the oil condition. I would also recommend changing the filter every oil change, it's just cheap insurance. I dread the thought of changing that damn filter more than the $6 cost. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Those Toyota's don't have turbo charged direct injection engines. I'm sure you can make it 5k with our cars, but it should be a full synthetic oil. I wouldn't want to attempt 7k though. From previous experience with 6 turbo cars, I will be changing mine every 3k with synthetic. The direct injection will contibute to polluting the oil faster also. If you go 5k, let me suggest keeping an eye on the oil condition. I would also recommend changing the filter every oil change, it's just cheap insurance. I dread the thought of changing that damn filter more than the $6 cost.
I just figured since the manual recomends every 7k on normal service the filter should be fine, I sure it would. But it is cheap insurance. But changing oil would take like 5min without a filter change. 1 bolt. Filer up. With the filter you gotta take out 6bolts. two plastic fasteners. Pull it out. For me, take out filter housing with band clamp as to not destroy the stock plastic. Change filter. Putting the filter housing is is sometimes a pain cause the oil seal will want to squirm out or tear if you dont get it perfect. Then put everything back. Its kinda a PITA by yourseft cause the plastic sheild is fairly big and has to lined up just right. I am sure it get easier with practice but the procedure is the same on the mz3 and I have done it about 4 times. Takes me 20-30more easily. I'm so lazy. :dance2: :madthrow:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm lazy too! This car is a PITA to due an oil and filter change on. I'll still try to do it every 3k myself, so I know there's synthetic going in. :p

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
is changing the oil really that hard on this car? How long does san oil/filter change take?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It's not that hard as long as you can get underneath the car. Removing and reinstalling the bottom cover takes a few minutes. The oil filter is not hard to replace if you have the correct tool.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I dont have the right tool but what I got works. suks though. I have a lift at my pops and the car is so short and low its takes like 15min just to get everthing lined up on the arms so I dont tear up any underpinnings.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I'm usually a do-it-yourselfer but I'm not touching the cartridge filter on these cars. I'd rather have the dealer take care of that. If they screw up at least I'll have an easier time with the warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Its not as hard as you think. I was pretty timid about trying it, but in the end it was just my nerves. I changed it on my 3 all the time and i plan on doing the same on the speed3. There is a write up about it on a 6, but it applies the same for the 3.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts